Doe and Fawn - Shoot? If so, what?

Jerry D

In northern areas with winter...

Do you shoot the fawn and let the doe go?

Do you shoot the doe and let the fawn grow up? Will it find new deer to hang out with during the winter?

Shoot both if you can?

I'm not interested in talking about shooting big bucks. I want to hear about this doe and fawn scenario.

What is everyones take? A tag costs us 55.00 here for reference

If you're in it to justify the $55 spent on a tag just stay home. I doubt with your ability to post on a forum you are starving to death. But if you must know shoot what makes you happy and don't worry about the opinions of others. My answer would be shoot the doe. Down south I don't shoot does with fawns in early season hoping a couple more months of training with it's mom will teach it some survival lessons. We don't shoot does late either because they could of been bred already. I have a 30 day window pretty much to shoot them and it's closing fast. Best case scenario would be to wait for an old dried up doe. I get aggravated at folks around who justify the killing of the deer with the amount of money they spend. It won't happen. I could buy beef filet cheaper than what it costs per pound if I was to calculate it all up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback.

Our rut is just starting here in ontario I would say. Some say if you shoot the doe. The fawn will die in the winter which reduces numbers. Others talk about tag soup. I agree about it being cheaper to buy beef.

I'm just looking for opinions or if anyone has any first hand knowledge how fawns do over the winter. I've heard they heard up over the winter and tag along with other does/fawns...

I guess like you said... shoot whatever make you happy. I know we have had guys shoot the doe in the past and over the rest of the week the fawn is seen numerous times.

It all depends on what YOUR goals are. If they are to put meat in the freezer - shoot the doe - a lot more meat. The fawn should be weaned or about to be weaned by now anyway and will join other deer. If you are shooting antlerless deer to reduce the population- shoot the doe - she is going to produce fawns next year and the fawn most likely wont. If you dont have a lot of deer and are trying to grow the herd, shoot the fawn.

I don't buy the orphan fawn is going to die line. Deer group up in winter and that fawn will follow along. I have seen plenty of them survive to spring.

To avoid this scenario, I only shoot yearling does that have no fawns. I like to let older does live so that they can lead the herd through the winter. As far as fawns go, there's just not enough meat on them to be worth it to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

On another note if you own the property shoot the visiting does that swing through occasionally and leave the resident does that raise their fawns on your property...

Also if the fawn is a buck fawn and you shoot the doe he may stay on your place instead of being pushed out by mama...

Good points Okie. Also that doe swinging thru may bring one of the property's bucks back to her home where he maybe vulnerable to a premature harvest.

On another note if you own the property shoot the visiting does that swing through occasionally and leave the resident does that raise their fawns on your property...

Also if the fawn is a buck fawn and you shoot the doe he may stay on your place instead of being pushed out by mama...
I find this to be helpful and hurtful. There's a couple places on my place where we will take does (just not the past three years). I will only harvest does that visit my place and not harass the resident ones. But I find does that visit can also bring a visitor with them when the time is right

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Studies show fawn survival is greater with loss of mother doe. Think that thru as to why. As for fawns not producing the following year, they certainly do and can be bred late season when they go into estrous hence the so called second rut. One reason you see late birthing in late summer. I have one such that I've passed multiple times this year as the mother is hardly larger then its offspring. The fawn has barely lost her spots.
As for shooting, take either or both if herd control is your motive. Otherwise shoot the fatest for meat. Of course I can shoot 8 does with no additional permit as a landowner , not that I would. But then I could also shoot 5 bucks, not that I would.

Another thing to keep in mind is the type of winter weather in the area. If winters are severe enough fawns and mature bucks are the first to die. The does stand the best chance of surviving the winter. Fawns in the southern part of the US have a much easier time finding food and staying warm during the winters. If it were me I would shoot the fawn every time, you know the doe has survived at least one winter and her odds are much higher surviving again.

I think it was DR. Kroll who said do not shoot your resident does but the interlopers who live on your neighbors and who are feeding off of you. I do not shoot the does as we do not have a huge population in my area.

I dont shoot does on my own ground, either. But, if I did, I would have a difficult time determining if it was one of “my” does or my neighbor’s does. I only own 300 acres - pretty sure all the does tend to come and go.

I like eating deer meat as much as the next guy and I fully support anyone shooting any legal deer they want to shoot regardless of whether it's a buck, doe, or fawn but I personally am not going to shoot a fawn nor am I going to shoot a doe that has a fawn with her. I've read all about how the fawn will survive and all of that good stuff but I don't have what it takes to shoot one or the other and then potentially have the remaining deer left behind standing around trying to figure out why the other one isn't following along. Just don't have what it takes I guess.

Giving the does a pass this year on this property. That said, I have shot some before that still had milk, but no fawn visible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If someone is desperate for a deer, any deer, and wants to legally shoot a fawn I don't have a problem with it. But IMO it's a limited use of a resource, the amount of meat is minimal, and the deer has never had a chance to contribute to the size and health of the herd, same principle as shooting a small buck, QDM vs filling tags. Of course in pa our winter kill is usually about zero, so that angle doesn't enter into my thinking. When I want meat I shoot the biggest lone doe I can find, which adds a challenge to what's an otherwise easy matter of just filling the freezer.

I have a question about late
Studies show fawn survival is greater with loss of mother doe. Think that thru as to why. As for fawns not producing the following year, they certainly do and can be bred late season when they go into estrous hence the so called second rut. One reason you see late birthing in late summer. I have one such that I've passed multiple times this year as the mother is hardly larger then its offspring. The fawn has barely lost her spots.
As for shooting, take either or both if herd control is your motive. Otherwise shoot the fatest for meat. Of course I can shoot 8 does with no additional permit as a landowner , not that I would. But then I could also shoot 5 bucks, not that I would.
Doggr you have me thinking with your comments. First off do the mature bucks typically breed before the subordinate bucks ?
If this is true, then your early dropping fawns (early breed =early drop) will have the best genes correct ? Which should also mean the larger fawns should head into winter better equipped for survival with larger bodies and an experienced mother if in fact the yearling does are being bred in the second rut.
Nature can be cruel, but also effective.
Am I overthinking this ?

I have a question about late

Doggr you have me thinking with your comments. First off do the mature bucks typically breed before the subordinate bucks ?
If this is true, then your early dropping fawns (early breed =early drop) will have the best genes correct ? Which should also mean the larger fawns should head into winter better equipped for survival with larger bodies and an experienced mother if in fact the yearling does are being bred in the second rut.
Nature can be cruel, but also effective.
Am I overthinking this ?
Thinking is good, thats what leads to knowledge. Perhaps. First indeed a mature doe will have higher survival rate of her fawns in theory as she has the better bedding and feeding areas in the pecking order of doehood. In theory.
Second, studies show thru DNA testing that sub bucks contribute to breeding as much if not more than mature bucks.
And yes it should hold true that early/normal dropping times would encourage a greater success of fawn survival. My example of the young fawn and mother would make one think they are less equiped to survive a harsh winter. But that is to assume a natural predator or man does not end the life of the mature ones early on. So lot of factors going on.
Now, as for the gene pool. Obviously two contributors, the doe and buck, both having say in the socalled best genes. And one can't assume that a mature buck has a better gene donation. Even a young suborbinate buck or doe my have in its package a prime group of genes that could lead to a new world record, that is if we are looking at racks as being a dominate gene trait. It's no different than someone like me giving offspring that are highly intelligent or good looking. Neither of those are my shown traits but could exist within my gene pool, or the mothers.
So while " normal " breeding and birthing times may improve results, so many other factors enter within the habitat, its hard to control. The magnificent 10 pointer I killed with my Jeep last year didn't have much an advantage with his gene pool.

Thinking is good, thats what leads to knowledge. Perhaps. First indeed a mature doe will have higher survival rate of her fawns in theory as she has the better bedding and feeding areas in the pecking order of doehood. In theory.
Second, studies show thru DNA testing that sub bucks contribute to breeding as much if not more than mature bucks.
And yes it should hold true that early/normal dropping times would encourage a greater success of fawn survival. My example of the young fawn and mother would make one think they are less equiped to survive a harsh winter. But that is to assume a natural predator or man does not end the life of the mature ones early on. So lot of factors going on.
Now, as for the gene pool. Obviously two contributors, the doe and buck, both having say in the socalled best genes. And one can't assume that a mature buck has a better gene donation. Even a young suborbinate buck or doe my have in its package a prime group of genes that could lead to a new world record, that is if we are looking at racks as being a dominate gene trait. It's no different than someone like me giving offspring that are highly intelligent or good looking. Neither of those are my shown traits but could exist within my gene pool, or the mothers.
So while " normal " breeding and birthing times may improve results, so many other factors enter within the habitat, its hard to control. The magnificent 10 pointer I killed with my Jeep last year didn't have much an advantage with his gene pool.

Well, I think my thinking is still trying to lead me to knowledge! As well, just when I thought I had over thought it you have made it apparent that I have under thought it . So I think I'll not think anymore about it and let those in the know do their pondering and I'll just shoot what comes close to me...or not:p

Back