Diversity

Foragefarmer

Pasture renovated this field into a novel endophyte fescue. Had some broadleaf issues so that is all that went in. But now that it is established I frost seeded red and ladino clover into the pasture and have gotten some good infill.

I don't mean to be "that guy", but a handful of clover plants that will be choked out by the end of summer does not constitute "diversity". This is especially true when the only other thing planted is useless to wildlife. I know ranchers have different needs and goals, but that might as well be an asphalt parking lot, for all the good it's going to be for deer.

My place is a working cattle farm. I have tried other pasture grasses and in 5 years those fields are mostly fescue again.

I don't mean to be "that guy", but a handful of clover plants that will be choked out by the end of summer does not constitute "diversity". This is especially true when the only other thing planted is useless to wildlife. I know ranchers have different needs and goals, but that might as well be an asphalt parking lot, for all the good it's going to be for deer.

Clover is far more tenacious than you give it credit for and you are completely wrong on that count. Please refer to the above post.

Here is what that field can look like in a number of years working backwards. Just took these photos in the field next to the other one.

These guys are number one, deer are secondary. The field in question is in the background when it was in pearl millet prior to planting. Before that it was in rye and crimson clover over winter and alfalfa for 6 years before that.

Prime rib anyone? Beef is tasty too! And I'm with you, there are more species of animals than just deer. But if you want to significantly improve your deer hunting kill a patch of that fescue with glyphosate in late summer and do an oat turnip and radish mix for a fall shooting plot. The oats will overwinter in Va and anytime you want to you can graze your beef on it just like fescue.

Prime rib anyone? Beef is tasty too! And I'm with you, there are more species of animals than just deer. But if you want to significantly improve your deer hunting kill a patch of that fescue with glyphosate in late summer and do an oat turnip and radish mix for a fall shooting plot. The oats will overwinter in Va and anytime you want to you can graze your beef on it just like fescue.

I am killing 10 acres of pasture this week and planting pearl millet for summer grazing. Then in the fall will drill rye and crimson clover into that pasture for spring grazing and do that rotation for two years then return that field to pasture and move to another field. I wonder what other animals like rye and crimson clover? ;)

Oats are hit and miss as far as overwintering on my place.

Is that what I'm missing? This field will be grazed, so the clover will do better than I thought? The OP is introducing variety in other ways, which is great.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That would be my assumption. To have pasture and not graze it would not make sense. If it were a hay field maybe, but he said pasture.

No dedicated hay fields on my place. Some get a single cutting and then get grazed once or twice during the summer and may get stockpiled for winter grazing. Then get grazed early in the winter and then cut in the spring. So that field just got cut but cows will be turned on it at some point. Grass everywhere at the moment.

Foragefarmer, are you just off the interstate outside of Charlottsville? If so, welcome back. Been a while since I've seen you around...

Foragefarmer,

Nice to see you around again! Do you have any perennial warm season stuff to graze?

Correct on novel....clovers can overtake the stand or impede stand establishment (friend in MO is having that issue with native white clover, 24d resistant). One way to promote a good balance is to change the spring grazing sequence....give the fescue recovery during it's rapid growth phase to compete against clover. In other words, start grazing on a different first paddock each spring.

One problem with KY 31 is a depression in soil microbial biomass in the root zone. Has anyone looked at this with novel fescue? Granted the base plants are different between novel and 31, but best I can tell fugal strains which keep host resistance to pest and disease are there but not depress animal performance are being used. Given that, I don't see how novel will improve soil microbial biomass over 31?

Planted some novel last year into existing pasture....time will tell if it takes.

These girls came from your area (SC)....via a long route. Ohlde genetics. Really pleased so far! Great coats and few flies....no issues with 31 but we are well past that in rotation.

16891e4f4266852040e1c965454eaa91.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

things like this are what make forums so great. We all have different "needs" and "wants" from our properties and how we go after those can be so vastly different. In most cases our properties serve multiple uses and we have to walk some sort of balance of those (I know I certainly do). Sure some folks can go to one extreme or the other, but many of us use our properties for multiple purposes.....cattle farms, grain farms, recreational properties outside of hunting and things like that, all while we try to deer hunt it at some point as well. As such we have to find interesting ways to be able minimize the negative impacts on some aspects while trying to improve aspects of others. Most of us can't simply set the entire property aside just for deer hunting. Many have some sort of financial impact to consider......growing timber, growing crops or growing livestock, or simply trying to get the most enjoyment from their investment. This means we have to find places and ways to overlap management practices to try to appeal to both without too much of a negative impact to either. So weather your trying to get a pasture to serve double duty as a food plot, or trying to overseed a harvested corn or bean field for one, or you can carve out a dedicated area of trees in the woods for one - what drives us to do this is all the same. You give a little to get a little......and we all work with what we have. Forums like this allow us to share those experiences and what works for us and to learn from others and entertain ideas that we may have never considered ourselves.

No dedicated hay fields on my place. Some get a single cutting and then get grazed once or twice during the summer and may get stockpiled for winter grazing. Then get grazed early in the winter and then cut in the spring. So that field just got cut but cows will be turned on it at some point. Grass everywhere at the moment.

So basically each paddock is grazed and/or cut 3-4 times per year correct? Yes, you will have 'grass everywhere' when you do that!

Good thread and good title name. Showed these pics on my land tour. Doing same thing almost but more for deer. Spread clovers oats rye into fall gly sprayed field 2 years ago. No cattle but let my hog do the browsing and 1500 # / tire track act as my cattle hooves to maintain. Clover covers entire plot w little maintenance. Oats WC RC WR maintains themselves along w residual fescue thruout yr.
You Gallow and Catscratch should relate well.
b78f8c54c2be8d8087e0486a1837550f.jpg

dc59bbd80b550d8c7d451580eca5e1b5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back