Disappointed--Hazelnut

THE LLC

Have a hazelnut I started from seed about 7 years ago FINALLY start to produce a few nuts--three to be exact. Well, had a storm come through last night and blew all three off. Broke my heart.

LLC, do you have much deer browsing on hazelnut at your place? I am considering some for my upcoming spring shrub planting. I have heard guys say they get murdered by deer, both browse and nuts. But then I have heard people say their deer pay no attention to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LLC, do you have much deer browsing on hazelnut at your place? I am considering some for my upcoming spring shrub planting. I have heard guys say they get murdered by deer, both browse and nuts. But then I have heard people say their deer pay no attention to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are at my house. I planted 15 at the farm and caged them. Every time a leaf grew outside the cage, the deer ate it. I took the cages off last year because they had gotten as tall as the 5 feet cages so I was thinking they were above the deer. Wrong. They literally ate them all the way to the ground and they can't even re-sprout.

I have hazelnuts growing wild on my land. The deer love to browse them. I have watched the nuts on them hoping to pick them myself. The deer seem to know exactly when the nuts are ready. They eat every available nut. I find this a very valuable native plant on my land.

Back