Diarrhea

Bullwinkle

Last year we had two deer -we think died - and they had bad diarrhea. Both got really skinny and I think both died

We shot a deer this weekend and it had diarrhea. It's stomach was full of oats and alfalfa. Looked like one of those green healthy veggie smoothies. It appeared to be a healthy deer

A farmer told me eating too much oats can do this?

it appears not to be symptom after a quick check.. I was just joking around, but with that new case in Shawano county it is close to your area

Corn toxicity
corn.jpg

Deer found dead in Wisconsin suspected of dying from corn toxicity.

Corn toxicity is in reference to two diseases which can affect ruminants, including white-tailed deer and elk. Both diseases can cause mortality in any ruminant even those in good body condition and include acidosis (grain overload) and enterotoxemia (overeating disease). While these diseases can occur at any time of the year they are usually seen in late winter when there is a rapid change from a natural diet of high fiber woody browse to a low fiber/high carbohydrate diet found in grain such as corn.

In acidosis the ingestion of large amounts of grain, usually corn, results in a change in the microbial organisms within the rumen which leads to the production of large amounts of lactic acid. The lactic acid lowers the pH of the rumen which then further reduces the normal flora of the rumen leading to reduced rumen motility and interference with digestion.

In enterotoxemia the ingestion of large amounts of grain, usually corn, results in an overgrowth of the bacteria Clostridrium perfringens. This overgrowth leads to the production of lethal amounts of toxins which are absorbed into the animal's body.

Signs of deer or elk with either acidosis or enterotoxemia are similar and indistinguishable in the field. The signs can include dehydration, diarrhea, incoordination, convulsions, and depression. Death may occur within 24-72 hours of excessive grain ingestion.

Reactions: Tap
Transmission of bovine viral diarrhea virus among white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus)

Corn toxicity
corn.jpg

Corn toxicity is in reference to two diseases which can affect ruminants, including white-tailed deer and elk. Both diseases can cause mortality in any ruminant even those in good body condition and include acidosis (grain overload) and enterotoxemia (overeating disease). While these diseases can occur at any time of the year they are usually seen in late winter when there is a rapid change from a natural diet of high fiber woody browse to a low fiber/high carbohydrate diet found in grain such as corn.

In acidosis the ingestion of large amounts of grain, usually corn, results in a change in the microbial organisms within the rumen which leads to the production of large amounts of lactic acid. The lactic acid lowers the pH of the rumen which then further reduces the normal flora of the rumen leading to reduced rumen motility and interference with digestion.

In enterotoxemia the ingestion of large amounts of grain, usually corn, results in an overgrowth of the bacteria Clostridrium perfringens. This overgrowth leads to the production of lethal amounts of toxins which are absorbed into the animal's body.

Signs of deer or elk with either acidosis or enterotoxemia are similar and indistinguishable in the field. The signs can include dehydration, diarrhea, incoordination, convulsions, and depression. Death may occur within 24-72 hours of excessive grain ingestion.

This happens every year when hunters start pouring out corn that deer aren't used to for hunting.

This happens every year when hunters start pouring out corn that deer aren't used to for hunting.
No worries here then in Mississippi. Hunters here keep it poured to them year round. I shake my head when I think I'm talking to a "game keeper" (people like us) only to be disappointed when I talk with them about year round nutrition to be told "yeah I put out 100lbs of corn last week" when its the middle of June.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

It's illegal to bait. I don't but believe my neighbors do. I do have 6 acres of corn planted for the deer

I cut open it's stomach. No a kernel of corn. All green mush

You might contact the DNR and let them know. They may want to look at the next one you shoot and see what is causing it.

Corn toxicity
corn.jpg

We used to feed corn heavily, year-round. 20,000 lbs was a typical year. We often had deer, almost always fawns, with severe runs. They would have poop all the way down to their hooves.
The deer's coats in later winter never looked very good either. Often a bit shabby and not that typical sleek winter hide.
For the last 3 years, I've ceased feeding deer any artificially placed food and the diarrhea and shabby coats have just about disappeared. Coincidence? I doubt it. I'll never feed corn again.

I don't think corn toxicity would be an issue in farm country thus time b of year. Deer have had access to corn all growing season. I thought this issue when there is a sudden shift in diet.

We used to feed corn heavily, year-round. 20,000 lbs was a typical year. We often had deer, almost always fawns, with severe runs. They would have poop all the way down to their hooves.
The deer's coats in later winter never looked very good either. Often a bit shabby and not that typical sleek winter hide.
For the last 3 years, I've ceased feeding deer any artificially placed food and the diarrhea and shabby coats have just about disappeared. Coincidence? I doubt it. I'll never feed corn again.

You describe the exact symptom I have found now on 3 deer. Two last year and one this. I cut open the guts of this last one and there was no corn --all green. Actually shot him in an alfalfa field

We'll be spending a lot of time in the woods this next month. I'll be watching for more

It happens with hay too. Places like Michigan, Washington State, Oregon, etc where there is a lot of snow fall. Instead of people easing the deer into it by starting while there is still green forage around, they wait until the snow is 2' deep and then start pouring the hay to them. It's the sudden change in diet and and system "overload" that hurts them.

Are you guys seeing any diarrhea on adult deer or just fawns? I can't remember ever seeing adult deer it with which leads me to wonder if these fawns are victims of them being orphaned before being weaned. I gotta think the antibodies in mother's milk has a big influence of the fawn's digestive health.
Which is another reason why I disagree with the Pa bow season opening in mid-September. Geeze, we still have fawns with spots nursing on mom and we hunt them?? Makes no sense to me.

Back