Deer escapes two coyotes - going into NWSGs

Native Hunter

Check out these 4 pictures.

Pic #1: Look for the white flag disappearing into the grasses on the left side, and note the time of 5:04 AM.

coyote-deer1.JPG

Pic #2: Check the time. It is still 5:04 AM. Coyote #1 enters the scene.

Coyote-deer2.JPG

Pic #3: Time has not changed. Coyote #2 arrives, and Coyote #1 is barely visible on the right side of the road behind the brush.

Coyote-deer3.JPG

Pic #4: Time has not changed. The second coyote appears to be howling toward the direction the deer went. The other coyote is still barely visible near the same spot, but if you zoom in, you can see him. This was the end of the sequence.

coyote-deer4.JPG

Last edited:
It would seem to make that sense that very dense native grass stands would be good escape cover. Bounding deer can navigate it faster than a coyote could.

It would seem to make that sense that very dense native grass stands would be good escape cover. Bounding deer can navigate it faster than a coyote could.
Yes, and I forgot to mention that they were coming from a food plot. Also makes sense that the yotes would try an ambush where deer come to feed.

We have a little NWSG stand. Have burnt it in years past, I’m guessing it’s been planted for 8-10 years? My grandfather planted it back before he passed. It’s always looked good, but this year it became really spotty. I have no experience with the NWSG, is it normal or should it be re planted?

We have a little NWSG stand. Have burnt it in years past, I’m guessing it’s been planted for 8-10 years? My grandfather planted it back before he passed. It’s always looked good, but this year it became really spotty. I have no experience with the NWSG, is it normal or should it be re planted?
Mitch, as a general rule you shouldn’t need to replant it. Mine has been in 15 years and I’ve never even burned. Yours may be weak due to drought but bounce back next year.

Back