Crimson vs red clover?

Chipdasqrrl

Next year I'm looking to add nitrogen and OM to a plot that will be planted in brassicas next July. Which would be best to plant in April, crimson or red clover? Other legumes? Would mixing them work?

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

What will you be broadcasting the clover in to? Wheat, oats and or cereal rye? How thick did you plant them? How many pounds per acre?

http://msue.anr.msu.edu/topic/cover_crops/species/red_clover

The maximum nitrogen production by a clover plant will have occurred just as it's flowering. Once it starts producing seed, the plant thinks that it's done it's job and focuses on seed production, so that is when tilling it into the soil will give you the most nitrogen. Green manure. Nitrogen will be released from both the roots, as well as above ground green matter and you can till the clover prior to flowering with some benefits.

It will then take 30 days for the tilled clover to start releasing the nitrogen, for the next crops use. Medium red clover also has a long root system, that will help break up the soil and leave organic matter a little deeper.

Medium red clover takes longer to mature, than crimson. When do you think your crimson would mature up there?

Next year I'm looking to add nitrogen and OM to a plot that will be planted in brassicas next July. Which would be best to plant in April, crimson or red clover? Other legumes? Would mixing them work?

Crimson is an annual. Won’t reseed unless you’re relatively south. Red and white are perennial.

Perennial clovers will fix more N but if plan is to turnover quickly I would go with crimson.

See what local farmers are doing and/or call coops / university county extensions, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Deer Hunter Forum

What will you be broadcasting the clover in to? Wheat, oats and or cereal rye? How thick did you plant them? How many pounds per acre?

The Clover wouldn't be planted until next Spring, broadcasted on tilled ground. If crimson matures faster, that sounds like the best option

Back