Cover along a fence line

mattpatt

Looking for suggestions on ideas for planting cover along a fence row other than eastern red cedar? I approach this fence to go into where I hunt and would like to have something along the fence that would conceal my approach.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Norway spruce will work but they are slow growing. You could try white pine as well but you will have to cage them or the deer will demolish them. If you don't want to go the tree route you can something like miscanthus grass.

To give a better idea of what I'm trying to accomplish here is a map of the fence line. I approach from the left across the open field. The fence line is about 1500' long according to Google Earth. I'm curious about hybrid poplar. They grow fast and grow well from cuttings which makes them easy to plant. Might not be able to do the whole fence line at once due to cost though.

Attachments

• fence.JPG
    fence.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 0
From what I have seen cedar is the only tree that would provide a screen after leaves fall except maybe one of the fast growing residential shrubs.I agree the switch may be the best if you don't want deer to come to whatever you plant if you did maybe corn would work for a screen

Yeah this is my parents land and the last thing my Dad would want would be a fence row full of cedars otherwise that would be what I would plant. Give it ten years and the birds will plant the cedars for me. lol

Is there hybrid switch that doesn't propagate itself? Basically I can't use anything that will eventually overrun everything else. I can pretty much do whatever I want to on the right side of the fence but it can't be anything that will spread into the neighboring cattle pasture.

build a second fence line 10 feet away from and parallel to the existing one (on the right side). Something just for the birds to perch on, just a single wire. you would be able to mow between the two which would keep it from spreading the the pasture. Plant a few cedars and let the birds to the rest. This happened on the land i bought due to negligence, however it has become an iron curtain for access. It now requires no maintenance from me. You can see it here on the left side of the tractor. There are now some mature water oaks in it also.

screen.jpg

You can plant several sawtooth oaks and let them grow for about three years, then cut them about 6 inches from the ground and let them put out a ton of suckers. They don't loose their leaves so they'll make a heck of a screen.

And miscanthus giganteus.... doesnt reseed. Spreads only by digging rhizomes.
Sawtooths, miscanthus, and a few cedars. Oh my!

Back