Considering adding brassicas to small grains plot

Brian

My "standard" plot mix is 100# small grains (wheat and oats), crimson and arrowleaf clover and chicory. Although this mix has worked well I want to add some diversity by adding radishes and rape and need some advice. Can I spread the brassicas seed evenly across the plot (which would be easier) or do I need to to plant in separate blocks? What planting rate should I shoot for?

I plan on throwing in some in my similar plot soon. IIRC most brassicas you don't want over a couple of pounds in the mix or they can choke other things out. I'm going to use some PTT and radishes in some, and some collards in another

Assuming your ph is above 6, you aren't far from establishing a perennial clover / chicory combo plot, which you won't have to replant the next year. Although I plant radishes in my mix, in this case, if you wanted close to a year round plot, look at the last item and plant radishes in a separate strip, because they will enjoy more nitrogen, than the wheat and clovers. Just a thought and might save you some money.

But to answer your question, you can broadcast your radish/rape evenly across, just like you would your clover. In fact, I mix my brassicas in with my clovers when I do that. Just don't go too heavy, as the big leaves of the brassicas will shade out your other plants.

Cool season seed.JPG

My "standard" plot mix is 100# small grains (wheat and oats), crimson and arrowleaf clover and chicory. Although this mix has worked well I want to add some diversity by adding radishes and rape and need some advice. Can I spread the brassicas seed evenly across the plot (which would be easier) or do I need to to plant in separate blocks? What planting rate should I shoot for?
Yes you can spread it evenly across the plot. I can't speak to the rate for rape but for radish, I'd add 5 lbs an acre. I love radish as a mix. My gut would be to split the radish and rape at some percentage but keep it at 5 lbs an acre or so.

Thanks for the info, that's exactly what I was looking for... but it raises another question!

FarmerD's chart recommends that grains be planted at 40-60# an acre, but I've planted wheat and oats at 100# an acres for the past few years and the deer have kept it eaten to the ground until spring. Should I scale back on the small grains as I move to a mix? Is there a downside to planting grains too heavily?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, that's exactly what I was looking for... but it raises another question!

FarmerD's chart recommends that grains be planted at 40-60# an acre, but I've planted wheat and oats at 100# an acres for the past few years and the deer have kept it eaten to the ground until spring. Should I scale back on the small grains as I move to a mix? Is there a downside to planting grains too heavily?
I think it goes back to your deer density and how much they keep the plot eaten. I couldn't plant that heavy at my place but there are plenty of people that plant that heavy without any issue. Sort of a trial and error thing but based on your above comments, I would definitely start with just adding the radish and rape. Just my two cents.

^^^^^^ That's exactly it! We have one piece of Timber property that has less than 1 acre of food plots on 80 acres of timber and the deer keep the food plot, lip high ... mowed to the ground. That's 1.25%. Where we have 4-5% of food plots on property and medium deer density, we go with a lower rate of cereal grains, so as the clovers can come thru and produce the following spring.

Lots of this is trial an error. If I planted oats or wheat at a rate of 100 lbs per acre, on my larger % property, it would shade out the clover, more than I'd like it too, since the deer wouldn't keep it clipped down.

Since your mix worked well before, with the quantities of seed that you planted fully utilizing the available acreage, and you are adding more stuff, all else being equal, common sense would say you need to cut back a little on your small grain and clover seed if adding brassica to the mix. I like planting my brassicas separately, because these crops are often planted on different dates, and the deer tend to graze them on different months, but that's personal choice, you can add to your regular mix and it will work just fine.

Last edited:
Back