compost tea

buckhunter10

I have got really into composting all my kitchen waste and outdoor leaves. I have a big barrel that I used I think it is 50 gallons and it composts fairly quickly. It also has something that it catches all the water that comes from the compost and you can fill up gallons with "compost tea"

I am not sure what the exact makeup of the compost tea will be but I am thinking it will be safe to pour around fruit trees, and on my garden this summer?

Anyone else ever deal with this?

I have used a compost tea in my vegetable garden in the past. I used it regularly for a few weeks and it really boosted my plants. I used a purchased product so I'm not sure I can be of any help to you though. Just be sure to dilute it with plenty of water.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I once had a UTI following a backbacking trip and my urine kinda looked like compost tea I would imagine. Seriously, my daughter has a compost bin she uses on garden and seems to work well so I guess yours would do no harm if not overdone. And I know similar is done to fert glaucoma medication crops around here, so I'm told.

Interesting. This bin makes 5 gallons at a time. It is already full, I bet Ill get 20-30 gallons out of it this year at the rate I dump compost into it. Should I sell it? Send some to a lab for testing so I have idea of what % it would be of what? Just use it sparingly?

I was thinking about pouring a gallon by a fruit tree but I don't want to over do it either. HMMMM!

Last year I brewed some compost tea after watching some YouTube. I will start in May doing it again. I put it on new shrubs where I redid the front of the house and I put it on my chestnuts in yard and on the farm.

I have some DCO that should grow well this year at the farm and I am going to hit them with it. I don't have the recipe handy - it is down stairs. I use an air stone like you see in an aquarium.

If you want to do this - talk to guys in a grow shop (you know that means) as they know their stuff.

I brew the stuff and then use 25% compost tea and 75% water that has sit for 3 or 4 days in a container.

I like to feed the trees every 2 weeks if I can. One gallon of compost tea to four gallons of water fills a 5 gallon bucket. That will water about 5 or 6 trees.

My wife don't like kitchen scraps left around - so I learned how to brew it. YouTube is a great resource.

Wayne

Last year I brewed some compost tea after watching some YouTube. I will start in May doing it again. I put it on new shrubs where I redid the front of the house and I put it on my chestnuts in yard and on the farm.

I have some DCO that should grow well this year at the farm and I am going to hit them with it. I don't have the recipe handy - it is down stairs. I use an air stone like you see in an aquarium.

If you want to do this - talk to guys in a grow shop (you know that means) as they know their stuff.

I brew the stuff and then use 25% compost tea and 75% water that has sit for 3 or 4 days in a container.

I like to feed the trees every 2 weeks if I can. One gallon of compost tea to four gallons of water fills a 5 gallon bucket. That will water about 5 or 6 trees.

My wife don't like kitchen scraps left around - so I learned how to brew it. YouTube is a great resource.

Wayne

Thank you Wayne.

So on this composter it actually catches the "tea" in the bottom. Do you have any idea if that has a shelf life? Can I just pour some of it around my fruit trees see how it goes?

I would not expect it to have a long shelf life. I would dilute it with water and pour it around my trees. You might get on YouTube and see what others do with a similar composter.

Mine is brewed with an air stone and a number of ingredients. Mine has a shelf life. I mix 25% compost tea and 75% water. As soon I mix it I get to the trees ASAP. It is the good bacteria that helps the trees. My brew stinks and it hard to get my hands to smell normal again.

I have a man that runs a Garden Center and he is a college graduate in Horticulture and he says this is great for trees.

I guess I will start brewing next week but right now I am trying to learn how to graft persimmon trees.

Wayne

Back