Clethodim mix ratio per GALLON

Guys, can anyone give me a mixing rate for Clethodim in ounces per gallon?

And at that ratio, how many ounces of crop oil do you use per gallon?

I want to spray my oldest clover plot late this spring to get rid of the grasses and hopefully keep this plot productive for another year. I have an ATV sprayer with boom and 5 nozzles and someday I'll get around to calibrating this rig, but I keep making mods.

Many thanks.

Grouse

You are going to have to read the label - as it can vary from product to product AND depending on the size and what types of grass your trying to kill. Sorry no 2% ratio type answer for cleth like you can for spot spraying with gly! At least not that I have found.

On the old defunct forum someone had this same question. I was getting ready to spot spray with cleth so I copied the question and the single response and saved it. I did something similar to the answer below but used dish liquid rather than crop oil and got a good kill on fescue and orchard grass. It took about a week before I saw it start browning, but it did die.

I get mad when you can't get a straight answer on mixing something for spot spraying rather than them giving an amount per acre. Seems stupid to me that it can't be given both ways.

Here is the question and response from the old forum:

Question:
I will be spraying my clover plots here soon. My plots are fairly small (1/8th-1/2 acre) in size. I will be using a backpack sprayer that holds up to 4 gallons of water (although I usually only fill it up to 3 gallons). When reading the label on clethodim, it said for spot spraying and hand sprayers to use .33-.65oz of clethodim per gallon of water and 1.33oz of concentrated crop oil per gallon of water. Does that sound right? Will that give me a decent kill on most grasses? Therefore I would use roughly 2.5oz of clethodim total for 3 gallons and 4oz of crop oil.

Will this give me a decent kill or should I up the rates some? If I had to guess my backpack sprayer walking at a decent clip would cover around 1/2 acre maybe a tad more. I just want to get the best burn possible without killing my clover.

Thoughts?

Answer:
just sprayed my clover and brassicas and some alfalfa last week with a 4 gallon backpack sprayer and i used 2 oz to 4 gallons with about 2 cups of crop oil.. i got a good kill on the grasses so far

I read 4 different Cleth labels and they all said the same thing for clover..... 6-16oz/acre, not to exceed 16oz per year, 5-40 gal sprayer and up to 1 qt of crop oil. The answer in the post above should be spot on or very close to it if you do some calculations. My reading the label and my little brain tells me 6oz/acre mixed with 5 gallons of water and 2 cups of dish soap. Put the soap in last......

I sprayed last year with a 14 gallon tank sprayer. I used 8 ounces of cleth and 1 quart of crop oil per a full tank. Most of my plots were an acre but I had some that are 1/2 acre. I just sprayed the whole tank evenly on the 1 acre plots and used 1/2 a tank on the 1/2 acre plots and it worked great for me.

Famous, as you can see answers can be variable. I find amount needed is lot dependant on how far along grass is growing. I like to hit here late april to mid may for best results, and maybe again early July. There was a poster on old forum that swore best and only time to do was early July for best results.
Anyways, I usually use 6oz of crop oil with 8-16 oz Cleth in 15 gal of water which will do about 2 ac for me. Has always done good. I like to spray before a warm spell as that improves success and make sure grasses are dry when going to spray. I like to spray when grass is growing but not into its mature stages, harder to kill then. With warm spring, I think spraying will be 2-4 wks earlier than usual. Also, unlike gly, cleth can take 2 wks before grasses show any affect.
On stubborn stuff with weeds, I have sprayed in May when clover is real active and mixed in light dose of Gly. Burns the clover a little but it bounces back. Check LCs thread as he was the one to really advocate that.

Just to piggy back on spraying clover plots. Cleth will take care of the grass issues but what do you add to handle other weeds like broadleaf types? My plot is clover/alfalfa mix. Part two is can you overseed more clover and run a cultipacker over the existing young plants?

I will tell you that 10 ounces/acre of Clethodim with 1 quart/acre of crop oil, will do a great job. But you really need to at least do a dry run, with just water in your tank, over a measured area and determine how many gallons per acre you're applying. With the information I just gave you, you could apply too much or apply not enough.

If you are:

1. Brave
2. Have calibrated your sprayer
3. Your clover is growing well and lush
4. You have good moisture in your soil.
5. Your clover is more than a year old (yours sounds like it is)

The go ahead and spray 1 quart/acre of glypohostate. It will knock the snot out of the clover for a couple weeks, but it will come back even better than before. You kill the grass (which is easy to kill) and the broadleaf weeds all in one pass. But only do this on established clover. Clover is very hard to kill, plus you have a clover seed bank ready to pop.Clethodim Hand sprayer rates.JPG

Below is the rate for a hand sprayer.

If you choose Clethodim, wait 3 weeks after spraying, before you get concerned about anything. In the pic below, on the right hand side, you can pull the center of the grass out easily and see it's not green and not Clethodim herbicide leaf pulls out_0.jpg growing. The grass has been dead for a while, it just doesn't look like it.

Good tips FarmerD. What would you do about a pretty bad infestation of creeping charlie in a 3 year old clover plot? Seems like it would be pretty tough to kill.

Creeping Charlie is hard to kill, but the best time of the year to do it, is in the fall but that doesn't help now. A good stand of creeping charlie may also be an indication that you're lacking boron in the soil, however be careful in applying too much of that. Start with 1 lb/acre of 20 mule team borax, when you apply your fertilizer in the fall, if you're not already using it.

Creeping charlie doesn't like to be shaded out, so a good thick stand of anything will help. There are chemicals out there that can be used to kill it, but you might need a license to buy them and they might hurt the clover (worse than glyphosate) in the process.

If it was me, I would try the 1 quart/acre of glyphosate, this spring and then add boron to your 0-20-20 fertilizer in the fall. Maybe don't bush hog the clover at all this year and let it get tall. But again, do this when your clover is lush and growing and you've got good moisture in the soil. It might take another application next year.

Maybe even over seeding your clover plot, in the fall, with 40 lbs/acre of cereal rye, might help too.

Thanks again. Those all sound like things I can try. I do have a pesticide app. license, so getting chems isn't a problem. It's a nice stand of a few different white clovers, so I'd like to get a couple more years from it. The creeping charlie is worst where the plot gets the most grazing pressure. It'll be the 1st year I need to work on the grass, too, so the Gly route seems the way to go. If the grass persists through a quart of gly, then I'll hit it harder with Cleth next time.

Grass is easy to kill with 1 quart/acre of glyphosate. If you have a small area, where the creeping charlie is, bump it up to 2 quarts/acre, but just in that small area. My guess, is that you will still have your clover come back, plus you have 3 years of clover seed sitting there, that Mother Nature will help you with. Not for the faint of heart, but again, clover is hard to kill.

Haha, well Paul is the Gospel. He's what got me into all this habitat stuff, by reading his posts on Iowa Whitetail forums. What a nice person he was. Incidentally, I smoked creeping charlie in a farmyard last summer with 2,4-d. Melted it to nothing. By late in the summer it was fully back. About as successful as me trying to get the clover in my yard with trimec (even in the fall)...it's just laughing at me so far.

Sorry to the original poster for getting this off track a bit, but I'm sure it added something useful by FarmerD.

With rain the forecast how long does Clethodium need to be on the grass before it rains? I thought I read only a hour or 2.

Back