Check out this rub

jteeen

This is from opening day, Oct.1. It's in a rub line with several scrapes pointed directly at the neighbors food plot and 500# feeders. He really shredded this tree.
9d2ee7ac4fc04d0a2b84e460b7f7245a.jpg

This the biggest deer in camera so far:
9e9e3e618c660542e6c54bdc647be1e1.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Well sounds like you found the path he takes......now you just have to hang a stand and get am access route in and out......and wait!

I absolutely love seeing rubs like that. When I was in college in Iowa I was walking a ridge that bordered a state park....I found some cedar trees that had the circumference of a telephone pole....5 of those trees were absolutely shredded. I thought I had found the tirty point buck! That was my first lesson learned to not hunt over top of rubs lol I sat, and I sat, and I sat and then I sat some more, all hoping he would return. Never did see him but my imagination ran wild.
Love seeing rubs almost as much I love seeing deer. That's weird I know lol
Thank you for sharing that!

Mitch from my experience when you find a big telephone pole sized rub, these are community sign posts, typically used at night as deer are working the edge of fields (not to say a monster isn't using it as well but I have also seen young yearlings use these). Now If I find a big rub like that and it has scrapes all around it then I get excited. I have found what was once 4x4 hedge posts rubbed completely through from years of being a community rub. Now on the other had if you find a sequence of big rubs in an area with scrapes as well, then get cameras in that area and see if you can catch the stud doing all the work, hopefully during the daylight.

Well I didn't hunt this rub but about 100 yards from it. Between 3 hunters on 3 sits, we saw one doe and a bunch of turkeys. I had a tom at about 30 yards but it was an iffy shot for a bow.

Hunting in the thick woods is a definite challenge. There is just so much cover and the "food source" is either one of the 10,000 oak trees or the neighbors food plot (lots of rubs heading to it). We get a bunch of buck pictures during daylight hours, we just haven't figured it out yet. I'll be heading back to the hay fields/farm land for primetime, at least I know they will be in or along a funnel.

I think the strangest thing is the lack of does. I usually almost always see a few or sometimes even a herd of them. We see plenty of bucks on camera but not many does. Just a new kind of hunting for me...

Well I didn't hunt this rub but about 100 yards from it. Between 3 hunters on 3 sits, we saw one doe and a bunch of turkeys. I had a tom at about 30 yards but it was an iffy shot for a bow.

Hunting in the thick woods is a definite challenge. There is just so much cover and the "food source" is either one of the 10,000 oak trees or the neighbors food plot (lots of rubs heading to it). We get a bunch of buck pictures during daylight hours, we just haven't figured it out yet. I'll be heading back to the hay fields/farm land for primetime, at least I know they will be in or along a funnel.

I think the strangest thing is the lack of does. I usually almost always see a few or sometimes even a herd of them. We see plenty of bucks on camera but not many does. Just a new kind of hunting for me...
The big woods is where it's happening right now...same thing that works in fields for the little bucks works on the big bucks in the big woods. Terrain features, edge between 2 types of cover, etc...

Back