Chainsaw for Hinging?

Does anyone have a go to video for hinge cutting safely? Do you guys only hinge up to a certain diameter? This still seems kinda dangerous to me. I would be the guy someone would find pinned under a tree in the woods.

There are some videos on youtube I believe and lots of information out there now. A good one is the online book Extreme Deer Habitat by Jim Brauker. It has several videos imbedded in it. You are absolutely right, it is dangerous. Anything with a chainsaw is IMO. As long as you have that healthy respect for the tool and the process you won't get in over your head. Watch some videos, read what you can, have the proper protective gear and keep that healthy respect/ fear of it and you will be fine.

I have a Stihl MS290 Farm Boss with 18" bar and a Stihl 201 T with 14" bar that gets most of the work now. I save the bigger saw for dropping trees and use the 201 for most of my hinging.

Check out the Tanaka TCS33EDTP‑14 32cc Gas 14‑in saw. Gets good reviews online and only $200 bucks or so. I already have a small stihl, but if i was buying now i would look into the Tanaka saw. Curious if anyone on here owns one and what your experience is.

Thanks again for all the replies. I went by the Stihl dealer yesterday and after looking at all the saws I decided to go with the MS250 since I will use this saw for hinging and firewood cutting.

Update...My dad called me earlier this week and said not to buy the MS250 because he had already bought it. So I told him that I would buy the MS170. So with that said when I get time to run both if anyone is interested in a review on either or both of these saw I can do one. Just let me know.

Update...My dad called me earlier this week and said not to buy the MS250 because he had already bought it. So I told him that I would buy the MS170. So with that said when I get time to run both if anyone is interested in a review on either or both of these saw I can do one. Just let me know.
I have both those saws. The MS 170 has cut the lions share of everything and the MS 250 has cut up 1 tree so far. Haven't really needed it yet...

Last edited:
Just another reminder, be safe. My childhood neighbor, 50 something years old, who sold firewood as a part time job was felling trees yesterday and died. Don't know any details, but he was a smart hardworking man who just became a grandpa last year. When in doubt, walk away.

Almost went to town to buy a new saw last weekend. Both of mine gave me problems at the same time. No complaints though, these guys have been around a while and neither owe me anything!
fa70723882314e8f096b69237f8f13f8.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Dolmar chainsaw 35 series is an excellent saw. They last for years and have way more torque then you would expect from a smaller saw. Mine only has a 14 inch chain but I've cut some big trees with little effort. It's light weight, small and handy and cuts like a larger saw.
I had never heard of Dolmar until a friend, who owns a landscaping business recommend it. It's by far the best saw I've ever owned, it's five years old and has been used for mostly clearing new fence line, cleaning up ice damage and keeping old fences clear of trees and brush. They are not cheap but worth the money if you need one to last for several years of hard use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a Stihl 210 with an 18" bar. I have another bar and chain in the box so when I pinch it I just throw the other bar on and free the other one. The little saw has killed a lot of locusts and AO.

I just got one as well. Gonna put it through the test next Saturday!

You will love it. Great saw for hinging and habitat work. Not for the big stuff but perfect size for most of the trees we hinge for habitat work. Love mine.

Update: I ran the MS170 some and it is very light and cuts well for the size that it is. A couple things I've learned is you have to feather it in larger trees or it will bog down while cutting and it doesn't take long to run a tank of fuel through it. Other than that it is a good saw for hinging.

Update: I ran the MS170 some and it is very light and cuts well for the size that it is. A couple things I've learned is you have to feather it in larger trees or it will bog down while cutting and it doesn't take long to run a tank of fuel through it. Other than that it is a good saw for hinging.
Same observations. You have to let the saw do the work.

Nothing wrong with the ms170.
I've been hinging with a 550xp with 16inch bar. Weights to power ratio is perfect for me: 10.8lbs./3.8hp

Has anyone looked at the Stihl MS180? It gives almost a couple more CC but adds another 1/2 pound and not sure it would be worth it.

Don't judge a saw by CC. Look at power to weight ratio

For example:
455 rancher is 55.5cc/12.8lb/3.49hp
550xp is 50.1cc/10.8lb/3.75hp

I cut live healthy trees with mine that the 16" bar won't go all the way through without much effort. I have another brand saw that is 42cc that can't keep up with it...

Back