BUYING LAND

Roofer1

How to go about approaching to buying your neighbors farm pasture and woods its not for sale how much to offer in central Indiana 175 acres not tillable

I would casually mention it in a convo. Mention if he ever sold it you would buy it or want to be first in line. Then follow up later saying you're serious after more thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Just drop them a card saying if you are ever interested in selling please give you a call.I have only bought on piece of real estate that was listed for sale.

Depending on your relationship with your neighbor is how I would approach the subject. Call me old fashion but I prefer face to face.

I would casually mention it in a convo. Mention if he ever sold it you would buy it or want to be first in line. Then follow up later saying you're serious after more thought. (I'm with Jvanhees)

Can't speak on how much to offer. You may need to do a little research. Good Luck!!

I've done this 4 times successfully. 3 unsuccessfully but still working it

First thing I would do is understand their situation and why would they want to sell - money, don't use it, pain to own?

If they use it a lot and have a long history with the land I'd either softly mention it or put an offer they can't refuse. You're chances are small. You need to wait for a life event to change the situation

If they don't use it frequently I'd write a letter - hope the wife opens it- and make a strong offer with easy contingencies.

If they are old people. Try to get to know them. It's hard to sell the family farm sometimes. I ended up with new friends in all but one of my deals(that ones a long story). One took 6 years, numerous dinners and it didn't happen till I got his wife out to dinner and my wife asked her to sell - done deal over a perch fry.

I'd also think 2-3 steps down the road. Have a plan to make multiple contacts - like send a letter every year showing you are still interested. I did it through Christmas cards once. Simple reminder. Invite them for lunch once a year to get to know them?

Be patient. Never has the answer been yes in the first attempt. Each situation took more than a year to get done.

Don't be afraid to make them an offer. Money talks and is a motivator. They will consider an offer, trust me. Just saying you're interested - I hear this all the time about my land - meaningless really.

Good luck. This is a lot of fun to do

If your prepared to make an actual offer - then do it.

If you are simply wanting to express interest in the property for a purchase at a later date, then simply make that known as well.

Just keep in mind - you can't force the issue and many farmers are VERY attached to their land. Some have been in the family for generations so it becomes an emotional thing. Be genuine, up front and honest about your intentions and then let him decide. You can't force the issue - it's like pushing a rope.....it just doesn't work that way!

My advice, thoroughly research land prices for your area and for the type of land it is (pasture, irrigated, dry land, etc) and be prepared to make an offer and stand by it. Also make your offer very fair, remember they aren't trying to sell it so make an offer that will entice them to.

My advice, thoroughly research land prices for your area and for the type of land it is (pasture, irrigated, dry land, etc) and be prepared to make an offer and stand by it. Also make your offer very fair, remember they aren't trying to sell it so make an offer that will entice them to.
Well said. Guys go cheap prospecting on land and torque the land owners off. Money talks

Back