Built Stands

Fish

When i was a kid, we used to haul lumber into the woods and build stands in double trunked trees. They were roomy, solid, and comfortable.
Now it seems we like to build enclosed blinds on 4x4's. And dont misunderstand, i love the tower type blinds. But nailing up 2x4's is pretty easy when you have the support (tree) already in place. And its always there when you take a notion to hunt it.

So after eyeing a big double-trunked sycamore today, i got to wondering if i should build a stand up there.
Im curious if any of you hunt from them? If no, why not? Any pics?

We used to do the same. Now we can't do it on any leased property because of rules of lease. Nails are pretty rough on a saw blade. On my own property I have only put up tripod and ladders. I still climb on my property also. I would not be against a stand in a good tree. The only problem is if the tree dies you have a problem with the stand. If you put that same stand on four legs instead of two you don't have that problem.

Fish,

I have a rule to not get in a wood stand nailed to a tree. Watch the nail heads on the third year. It is an accident waiting to happen.

It is our job to get into the woods safely and our responsibility to our family to get out safely. We stay on the ground if we forget our safety belt too.

You love your son - teach him what is safe!!! At his age - he sees no risk.

All of my first stands were wooden platforms nailed to the tree. Made my ladders out of 2 x 4's. I have since gone to hang on or ladeer stands.

Fish,

I have a rule to not get in a wood stand nailed to a tree. Watch the nail heads on the third year. It is an accident waiting to happen.

It is our job to get into the woods safely and our responsibility to our family to get out safely. We stay on the ground if we forget our safety belt too.

You love your son - teach him what is safe!!! At his age - he sees no risk.

You make a fair point, wpbdeer. But man we hunted out of those stands for years and years and i dont remember nails backing out. But i never thought much about it. Sounds like you can attest to it?
Screws?
You had to throw in the comment about that boy of mine. ;). He is 13 and i still stand under the tree nervous as a chicken till he gets settled in.

You make a fair point, wpbdeer. But man we hunted out of those stands for years and years and i dont remember nails backing out. But i never thought much about it. Sounds like you can attest to it?
Screws?
You had to throw in the comment about that boy of mine. ;). He is 13 and i still stand under the tree nervous as a chicken till he gets settled in.

Fish,

Your son will learn his caution from you. Back in the 60's, 70's and 80's I would hunt in wooden platforms, nail on, wooden ladder stands but I change my ways when I watched my son climb one like a squirrel. He saw no danger and was so limber. It frightened me. I know a person that took a bad fall about that time and my first hang on I purchased was a screaming eagle from out of Montana. Still have that heavy ole hang on.

My oldest grandson has been taught great caution by me and my son. I am a deer hunting fool but I want to make it in the woods and out the woods safely. If something happened to my grandson, my wife would kill me. I find it unbelievable how many hunters get in a tree stand without a safety vest.

Teach that 13 year old how to be safe and what to avoid. We want all of our memories to be pleasant ones. :)

Just because they are mobile?
no, convenience and safety. I still have one that I use though and it is well over 10 years old. I have replaced the platform once though and check it well before every season.

Did use stands nailed to sturdy tree limbs. Great for bow hunting and I took a few deer from them.
but now stay out for safety reasons.

Thanks for the comments fellas.
Honestly, i had never considered them unsafe. At least no more so than anything else i hunt out of.
But point taken. Thanks!

Thanks for the comments fellas.
Honestly, i had never them unsafe. At least no more so than anything else i hunt out of.
But point taken. Thanks!
Mine just got old and I tore them down so no one would try them. Same should be done for wooden ladders.
You are right that safety first for all. I worry sometimes about ladder to shooting house. Also I put new chains and Turn buckle on loc ons

I am about to build a few. Myself I don't see them any more unsafe than some of the chinese junk climbing sticks and ladder stands many use. Or any worse than a hang on stand with one crappy ratchet strap. I use 2x6's and pole barn nails, or lag bolts sometimes. You should inspect every stand before climbing in.

I used to but they tend to be dangerous as they tend to fall into poor repair as the tree grows and flexs. modern stands are dangerous enough as it is - it would take some serious engineering to build a more modern one. I watch the "treehouse master" on TV and even wonder how well they last.

Me too. I have way more hang-on stands than anything, but I'm not opposed to a wood stand either. Just saying nothing inherently unsafe about a wood stand.
I agree, just something that has to be monitored as time goes on. And that applies to any tree stand.

I used to but they tend to be dangerous as they tend to fall into poor repair as the tree grows and flexs. modern stands are dangerous enough as it is - it would take some serious engineering to build a more modern one. I watch the "treehouse master" on TV and even wonder how well they last.
And i know youve had experiences with hang on stands.... ;)

I don't see problem with wooden stand. But just like anything, upkeep and maintenance is required. Key with nailing, is not to hammer tight but leave half to inch sticking our to allow growth of tree over time. Eventually it has to be replaced to stay safe tho. How many hunters strap on a hang on or ladder stand and steps then leave it unattended for years, and continue to climb into it?? Straps stressed to breaking point.
After having heard 6 trees fall and 2 others I watched fall this year since hunting began, I'm getting a little paranoid anyways. I've told story before of retrieving stand at end of season only to find perfectly healthy oak laying on the ground with my stand attached.

I don't see problem with wooden stand. But just like anything, upkeep and maintenance is required. Key with nailing, is not to hammer tight but leave half to inch sticking our to allow growth of tree over time. Eventually it has to be replaced to stay safe tho. How many hunters strap on a hang on or ladder stand and steps then leave it unattended for years, and continue to climb into it?? Straps stressed to breaking point.
After having heard 6 trees fall and 2 others I watched fall this year since hunting began, I'm getting a little paranoid anyways. I've told story before of retrieving stand at end of season only to find perfectly healthy oak laying on the ground with my stand attached.
Geeez. Jbird has cables snapping and your mighty oak stands are falling...... maybe we should go to ground blinds in the food plots.:D

Back