Bucks in Velvet

Charleston Treeman

Deer season is in here in SC. I find it way too hot to sit this time of year but folks do and are shooting some nice bucks. Problem for me is they are all still in velvet. Am I the only one that would rather let them walk and see the full potential of antler growth?

A velvet buck is on my bucket list, while I prefer no velvet, I think every die hard deer hunter should have at least one velvet buck on their wall.

It would break my heart to shoot one in velvet. I have the opportunity to shoot velvet bucks every year, but I have no desire to do so.

If any of you Midwest guys want to shoot a velvet buck let me know. We can do a hunt swap.

Thats kind of odd. I am in full scout mode now trying to line up a velvet buck for the archery opener on Sept 1st. I dont know the developmental state of antlers in SC, but here antlers are done growing now. Velvet comes off the 1st week of September regardless of whether or not season is under way. They are for all purpose hard horned here now they just havent hit the right hormonal state to cut off blood flow to the velvet. Once blood flow stops, the velvet begins to rot and bucks will do everything they can to get rid of that stinky mess on top of their heads. Within 48 hrs of starting to shed they are typically slick as a whistle. I have done a few velvet buck mounts for customers and have not had the chance to do one for myself yet, maybe that will change this year!

Last edited:
Whats wrong with shooting one in velvet?

Nothing wrong with it, I just don't like how they look as much. I would rather have a big necked, hard antler buck any day over a thin necked buck in velvet. They just look incomplete to me. Guess I can't really explain it. I sure do love watching those velvet racks grow all summer though.

I agree cut man, but hey thats what makes life great we all don't like the same things! Otherwise, it would be boring...lol!

Are the SC bucks at the same degree of development as ours? Or do the still have some growing yet to do?

In all honesty I wouldnt want a whole wall full of velvet deer I would just like one for the novelty of it. Now short haired, early season capes get my vote every day of the week! I have often said I would give up 10" of antler if I could shoot the same buck the first week of season as opposed to later in the season. From a taxidermy perspective they just look so good, you can show muscle and vein detail something that you cant make look natural on a late season northern buck that has 1 1/2" long hair.

Are the SC bucks at the same degree of development as ours? Or do the still have some growing yet to do?

In all honesty I wouldnt want a whole wall full of velvet deer I would just like one for the novelty of it. Now short haired, early season capes get my vote every day of the week! I have often said I would give up 10" of antler if I could shoot the same buck the first week of season as opposed to later in the season. From a taxidermy perspective they just look so good, you can show muscle and vein detail something that you cant make look natural on a late season northern buck that has 1 1/2" long hair.

You are probably a month ahead of us development wise, maybe? I've seen bucks just shedding velvet in mid/late September. Our rut is kinda strange. Seems to be weather pattern related, cold front = bucks chasing does. Last year the monsoon and warm weather in late October pushed a lot of rut activity after deer season. We have a few does that have just dropped on our property.

Back