Browse resistant brassicas?

An increase in land carrying capacity (disturbances) should be done in conjunction with a massive reduction in animal numbers....then let the herd recover slowly while habitat regenerates. This will allow you more time....and time is what you are managing...more time for preferred native plants to establish tonnage which can withstand moderate browse pressure. Your scenario indicates a deficiency in the quantity of high quality browse/forbs....the only highly preferred forb available is brassica and their tonnage is insufficient for animal demand. Hinge cutting is just one tool to use......TSI proper, prescribed fire, light spring tooth harrow ripping, feeding plots, and planned grazing are other tools to address the issue of limited preferred natural food...each of those has associated costs and repercussions. Disturb the habitat and let it recovery under reduced animal demand...that is how you increase carrying capacity sustainably.....make sense?

My courses in wildlife biology were 30 years ago. But yes the concept is not unreasonably complicated. However, as you yourself say, one must possess the ability to make significant cuts in the deer population. Alas, I do not enjoy that privilege. Other than some annual doe tags and regular buck tags I am unlikely to prevail upon the DEC to issue me the significant number of nuisance permits. By the way, there is no browse line on the property and there is plenty of secondary forage. But given their preference for delectable browse, they eat my crops to the ground leaving the secondary forage alone. I was just wondering if, or hoping that, the hive-mind/brain trust here had more knowledge in types of plants that can withstand heavy browsing. I do thank you for taking the time to read my post and then providing a detailed response :)

regeneration of your forests. Do you have any oaks growing up on the first floor? Any saplings at all? It seems like your browse line would be visible at almost any/all levels of your farm.
I don't have a browse line. The opposite. I have plenty of brush. A lot of invasive: autum olive and multiflora rose which will get secondarily browsed. Also we have native black berry berry, dogwoods, wild grapes. Plenty of big white and red oak chestnuts and wild and domestic apple and crab apple. Also Cedar and white pine which provide winter forage. The secondary forage will get hit in winter and early spring. We have a lot of fields next to us which are not cultivated but are hayed by the local farmers.

I don't have a browse line. The opposite. I have plenty of brush. A lot of invasive: autum olive and multiflora rose which will get secondarily browsed. Also we have native black berry berry, dogwoods, wild grapes. Plenty of big white and red oak chestnuts and wild and domestic apple and crab apple. Also Cedar and white pine which provide winter forage. The secondary forage will get hit in winter and early spring. We have a lot of fields next to us which are not cultivated but are hayed by the local farmers.

hmm that is very hard to believe. Typically even with food plots a deer's diet is still mostly native browse. If you had deer eat 12 acres of turnips you must have an extremely high deer density. Even on the edges of those hay fields, are you not seeing a browse line?

Just our of curiosity- how many deer do you see in fields during summer/winter months. 10 at a time, 20, 30, 40?

hmm that is very hard to believe. Typically even with food plots a deer's diet is still mostly native browse. If you had deer eat 12 acres of turnips you must have an extremely high deer density. Even on the edges of those hay fields, are you not seeing a browse line?

Just our of curiosity- how many deer do you see in fields during summer/winter months. 10 at a time, 20, 30, 40?
On average, I have 6 to 10 deer in each of the three fields tons of turkey too:)

IMG_2958.JPG Hard to believe? Not sure why... See for yourself: here's a pic of the turkey and deer eating away. I assure this is neither photoshopped or uncommon. And... no browse line.

Last edited:
View attachment 4461 Hard to believe? Not sure why... See for yourself: here's a pic of the turkey and deer eating away. I assure this is neither photoshopped or in commen. And... no browse line.

I'm not calling you a liar just hard to believe that your herd could eat that much tonnage. Have no effect on the regeneration of your habitat. You clearly have a high deer density but that doesn't even seem to equal the type plot browse you have suggested. I would deff recommend sticking with clovers and grains. I believe we used to have a guy from Wisconsin on the old forum. He had 27 does in a 2 acre plot of winter wheat and mentioned it held up to the browse pressure fairly well. He would count over 100 deer in a field and had 0 forest regeneration espically with oaks.

Just something to keep an eye out for. Sometimes text is hard to tell tone. I hope mine didn't come across wrong.

I was simply asking out of curiosity. Every situation is different and that's what makes this habitat game fun!

I'm not calling you a liar just hard to believe that your herd could eat that much tonnage. Have no effect on the regeneration of your habitat. You clearly have a high deer density but that doesn't even seem to equal the type plot browse you have suggested. I would deff recommend sticking with clovers and grains. I believe we used to have a guy from Wisconsin on the old forum. He had 27 does in a 2 acre plot of winter wheat and mentioned it held up to the browse pressure fairly well. He would count over 100 deer in a field and had 0 forest regeneration espically with oaks.

Just something to keep an eye out for. Sometimes text is hard to tell tone. I hope mine didn't come across wrong.

I was simply asking out of curiosity. Every situation is different and that's what makes this habitat game fun!
All good. I didn't take it personally. I guess my situation is unusual that's all. I am just trying to get a little advice from people who have done this longer. My deer love my plots to the virtual exclusion of secondary (and plentiful) secondary food sources. I think next year I will diversify. Maybe three plots: 1. oats and clover in spring and 2. winter wheat and rye mix in fall and 3 and do a mixed planting with all my leftover :) seeds: turnips radish beets chickory trefoils etc and not disappoint the cannibals.

Sure that's relevant.

Some more valuable free information: If you want to improve deer habitat, remove the autumn olive and multiflora rose.

G

Sure that's relevant.

Some more valuable free information: If you want to improve deer habitat, remove the autumn olive and multiflora rose.

G
I considered that apples and acorns are late season mast and would be dropping after the plot destruction is already complete. Unfortunately, the Multi flora rose, autumn olive, as well as other invasives... barberry, stiltgrass, canada thistle are so prolific that my efforts would be in vein... My long term plan is to bulldoze some areas and create additional food plots that can be managed with herbicide. (actually :) The deer eventually browse the rose and olive). Thxs, Rob

This has been an interesting thread. I find my smaller plots get hammered to a much greater degree than our larger plots until the dead of winter. I've got some brassica plots that have been eaten down to the stallk. I've got the same plantings that are knee to waist high that while being being hit hard, but not nearly as hard. The only difference is they are in larger plots (1 acre to 5 acres). Our apple production was pathetic this year but are acorns were a real surprise. In good or bad acorn years, I find the plot usage is way down when the acorns are plentiful, no matter what variety or quantity of plots I have. I still think the LC rotations are the best answer for heavy browsing. The clovers are indespensable during spring and summer, and nothing touches the tonnage of brassicas. I also love watching deer go back and forth between brassiccas and grains in the fall. As long as deer let me plant them, I'll also plant 4-5 acres of corn and beans just for the variety.

You already been given lots good options. But nothing is going to work until that deer density is under control. Bring in some kids and go at it. I do know your area takes a beating in winters and herds can be tough to keep fed. But I will say your browse has to be lacking. If you have that much nuisance plant coverage of the MFR, etc, then that is occurring because the deer browse the good stuff before it can take control and then the area is overtaken with the junk growth. Sit back and read the landscape, it is trying to tell you something. That is classic of poor managed timbered areas, not saying that is your case. Don't know your land but timber and invasive control is an option. You are simply going to have to reduce numbers and increase quality browse to keep your sanity. Just my opinion. Good luck.

You already been given lots good options. But nothing is going to work until that deer density is under control. Bring in some kids and go at it. I do know your area takes a beating in winters and herds can be tough to keep fed. But I will say your browse has to be lacking. If you have that much nuisance plant coverage of the MFR, etc, then that is occurring because the deer browse the good stuff before it can take control and then the area is overtaken with the junk growth. Sit back and read the landscape, it is trying to tell you something. That is classic of poor managed timbered areas, not saying that is your case. Don't know your land but timber and invasive control is an option. You are simply going to have to reduce numbers and increase quality browse to keep your sanity. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Well you just said everything I was trying to in a clear manner. Thanks Doug!

Thank you sir... lil help... what is MFR?

Back