Broke the Tikka in today (Coyote bedded in deer scrape)

Native Hunter

True story - this morning this coyote laid down in a deer scrape I was watching. A young buck had been at the scrape earlier. The coyote laid down right in the scrape. The young deer was coming back and didn't even know the coyote was laying there.

When I pulled the trigger, the deer was 15 feet away from the bedded yote. Proved not to be a good spot to take a short nap - but good for a long nap..............

Scrape after I removed coyote

LONG distance shot. He was bedded at the edge of the distant woods you see in the picture. All I could see was his head and half his neck. No problem for a Tikka 308.

Central Kentucky - Zone 6B
I was country when country wasn't cool.

Good shootin, Native. One less coyote in my woods after last weekend.;)
I dont think ive ever seen one bedded. Period.

Nice! wish i had my tikka .223 with me the other night, had 6 different encounters with yotes in 2 hrs from my stand but I didnt wanna let the .270 sing while I was deer hunting the last weekend of rifle lol

Nice! wish i had my tikka .223 with me the other night, had 6 different encounters with yotes in 2 hrs from my stand but I didnt wanna let the .270 sing while I was deer hunting the last weekend of rifle lol

I understand the feeling. Gunfire doesn't ever have a positive effect on the deer hunting, but the temptation on the coyote makes it a hard decision.

Good on you Native ! I never turn a coyote down, unless it's forever ! This one made the mistake last week when I was deer hunting.

Well, pic would not load..........

Shot a yote opening day of primitive with the 50 caliber. It lay dead in the food plot and 20 minutes later I had 2 deer feeding next to the dead yote!

Shot a yote opening day of primitive with the 50 caliber. It lay dead in the food plot and 20 minutes later I had 2 deer feeding next to the dead yote!

Reminds me of a story my dad told: He was coyote hunting and two hen turkeys came out in a green field a little over 300 yards away. He noticed something dark in the low grass moving toward them and raised his field glasses to see it was a coyote crawling in for a kill. He popped the yote, and when it flopped over the turkeys jumped a little bit but then turned and walked right to it for an inspection. Then they just turned and walked away.

Great shot, NH. You have a good eye and steady hand. Donald Trump should put you in charge of Gun Control

Back