Broadcasting grains in bare spots...

Crimson850

My brassica patch is suffering, planted in august and just now getting rain...its starting to come up but lots of large bare spots. I broadcasted some oats, winter rye and winter wheat in these spots, on top of bare dirt. We are expecting an inch of rain over the next couple of days...Any chance any of it will grow? Would love to hear opinions!

My brassica patch is suffering, planted in august and just now getting rain...its starting to come up but lots of large bare spots. I broadcasted some oats, winter rye and winter wheat in these spots, on top of bare dirt. We are expecting an inch of rain over the next couple of days...Any chance any of it will grow? Would love to hear opinions!

Yes, they should germinate just fine, especially if your soil isn't real sandy.

I certainly hope so because with our drought the deer are wiping out the radishes and I threw in rye grain and red clover yesterday evening and we are getting a good soaker now!

I would think if you are getting the moisture now the cereal grains will take off, I did the same thing earlier this fall. Good luck!

As long as the birds don't eat your seed before they germinate you are fine. Rye will darn near grow on dry concrete.

I did the same thing this spring, but it was cereal plot that went 4 weeks without rain. It was spotty because some of the soil was moist enough to germinate, but most was not. I could not drag or cultipack since some of the cereal had already sprouted. I spread my cereal mix, extra heavy on the seeding rate, right before a heavy rain. It filled in beautifully, better than all my other plots last spring.

Im waiting out this storm to do the same process with a brassicas plot that was partially flooded instead drought. Heavy seed rate of cereals in the bare spots.

Back