Brassicas planted today....a little late.

Crimson850

Planted my brassicas (welter seed big buck brassica mix) today, august 28. Some rain expected this week and the soil is moist. Hoping they will do well. Last year everything germinated but no rain so they didn't do much. If need be I'll over seed with rye at some point.

Yep you guys look to get some good rain. As long as planted 60 days before frost pretty safe. I always overseed with rye and RC late fall into brassica. Should be good.

I haven't planted any yet, because I haven't had time to get my seed yet. I'm hoping for a late frost this year, Ill need it in more ways than one, my corn needs some time to mature yet. Don't want to me harvesting wet corn and taking the dock at the elevator on already too cheap corn

Planted my brassicas (welter seed big buck brassica mix) today, august 28. Some rain expected this week and the soil is moist. Hoping they will do well. Last year everything germinated but no rain so they didn't do much. If need be I'll over seed with rye at some point.
I think you got your rain, it's been drizzling all day in PA. Since it's later, I'd consider lightly overseeding oats into the new brassica right now to sweeten the mix a bit. You can still do rye late to create a layered plot.

I think you got your rain, it's been drizzling all day in PA. Since it's later, I'd consider lightly overseeding oats into the new brassica right now to sweeten the mix a bit. You can still do rye late to create a layered plot.

How do oats do when they are broadcast into a plot, similar results to WR?

How do oats do when they are broadcast into a plot, similar results to WR?
I usually drill, but I broadcast an acre of oats last year and they grew like weeds. They didn't winterkill because the deer had them grazed so short there wasn't enough sticking up to freeze and so there was a good crop of grain this summer. In the spring I seeded clover, now it's a nice clover patch.

I usually drill, but I broadcast an acre of oats last year and they grew like weeds. They didn't winterkill because the deer had them grazed so short there wasn't enough sticking up to freeze and so there was a good crop of grain this summer. In the spring I seeded clover, now it's a nice clover patch.

I am over seeding a couple plots that I planted back in late July with WR/Oats/Forage peas and clover this coming weekend with WR. I've never tried broadcasting Oats into a existing plot. The WR on the other hand seems to do pretty well this approach.

Back