Best tree tube and stakes

No issues with flimsy trunks / bending over?
With that one I'm having some issues because it grew 6' last year and now is growing out quite a bit. But it's also in my yard so I can tend to it regularly.

It's twin in the wild isn't nearly as tall and is barely breaking out of it's tube.

From now on I'll probably get 4' tubes because the zip tie on a 5' tube is too high to get the stake real deep. Bunch of my tubes are crooked but they get the job done.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

No issues with flimsy trunks / bending over?
Here's some more from the wild. The first one is a twin bur oak planted at the same time. It's not nearly as top heavy in it's second season. The other is a pecan in it's second season.
8bdfea346687f4331ceee70a452b9a1c.jpg
c49bec01b52fb8067ebd1451951e2d68.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I have planted a lot of tree seedlings using “tree tubes” over the past few years. I highly recommend you use a shelter on every seedling especially during winters. I was quite interested in growing the native species. Native plants local to your area are ideal for growing in your backyard. There are native plants that can tolerate almost any situations like poor soil, shade and small spaces. They have the ability to reduce insect pests by providing food and shelter for native animals. I have been planting a mixture of trees, shrubs and groundcovers and had used tree tubes for many of them. This was actually recommended by the ecology centre in Ontario, from where I used to by the native plant as a shield from browsing animals.
The main advantage of this tube is that they dim the available sunlight except at the top which will enhance the vertical growth of the tree seedling. This way the seeding will naturally grow towards the light, leaving behind ground-level shrubs and grasses to compete for light. Once the seedling emerges out of the tube into full sun, it then branches out to form a full crown. As I mentioned earlier in this post, they can protect the saplings from bucks and also from harsh weather conditions while conserving moisture. Scientific studies have also proved increased survival and vertical growth with the use of tree tubes. From my experience tree tubes are worth using.
I will list out a few tips for using tree tubes
  • To prevent small rodents from entering into the base, countersink the bottom of the tube an inch or two in the ground.
  • Fire ants sometimes use the bases of these tubes as their headquarters. This usually will not affect the tree survival, but if it bothers you, use fire-ant bait.
  • Buy tree tubes that are at least 4 feet tall. Shorter tubes don’t stop deer browsing.
  • Wrap around style tubes can be reused.

I have planted a lot of tree seedlings using “tree tubes” over the past few years. I highly recommend you use a shelter on every seedling especially during winters. I was quite interestedin growing the native species. Native plants local to your area are ideal for growing in your backyard. There are native plants that can tolerate almost any situations like poor soil, shade and small spaces. They have the ability to reduce insect pests by providing food and shelter for native animals. I have been planting a mixture of trees, shrubs and groundcovers and had used tree tubes for many of them. This was actually recommended by the ecology centre in Ontario, from where I used to by the native plant as a shield from browsing animals.
The main advantage of this tube is that they dim the available sunlight except at the top which will enhance the vertical growth of the tree seedling. This way the seeding will naturally grow towards the light, leaving behind ground-level shrubs and grasses to compete for light. Once the seedling emerges out of the tube into full sun, it then branches out to form a full crown. As I mentioned earlier in this post, they can protect the saplings from bucks and also from harsh weather conditions while conserving moisture. Scientific studies have also proved increased survival and vertical growth with the use of tree tubes. From my experience tree tubes are worth using.
I will list out a few tips for using tree tubes
  • To prevent small rodents from entering into the base, countersink the bottom of the tube an inch or two in the ground.
  • Fire ants sometimes use the bases of these tubes as their headquarters. This usually will not affect the tree survival, but if it bothers you, use fire-ant bait.
  • Buy tree tubes that are at least 4 feet tall. Shorter tubes don’t stop deer browsing.
  • Wrap around style tubes can be reused.
Some people have reported weak, spindly trunks due to lack of swaying in the breeze. See this thread: http://deerhunterforum.com/index.php?threads/leaning-chestnut-tree.2861/

What are your thoughts to get the trees to develop proper trunks?

I have had around 700-800 trees in tubes and the trunks grow just fine.I cut the tubes off right before the trunks touch inside of tubes.I will usually put a wire cage around them for a couple years that is just a few inches bigger than the trunk to keep bucks from rubbing.I have trees that are 20 ft tall and no issues.If they are in the open where they catch wind i will sometimes support straight with aglock

Staking is a very good idea. This is something you should consider while planting your tree. The supporting stakes can be of metal or wood. Get a strong soft fabric to tie the tree to each stake, leaving a little slack for the tree to move naturally in normal winds. And when using a cover, place it over the top of your tree and tape the bottom down around the trunk. Once the winds have subsided, though, you should remove the cover so your tree can fully absorb the sunlight. Also keeping your tree watered promotes strong roots and trunk, and reduces the wind damage. Pruning your tree on a regular basis can also protect it from wind.

I use hose , ( as in womens panty hose ) to tie trees to stakes .It works better than anything else that I have ever used . I sometimes get a funny look when I buy 20 pairs of hose at Walmart .

Back