Best CRP planting

timrod

I'm here in Illinois, and we are enrolling roughly 30 acres into the wildlife habitat buffer strip. CP-33 program. The list of seed choices is entering a whole new world for me. Does anyone have suggestions, based on the mixes I have available?
image.png image.png

I'm no expert on CRP mixed, but switchgrass and big blue stem are my favorite NWSG's for deer in that order. Indiangrass is a close third. Make sure you mix has the first two. I like the mix along with the forbs listed as E-14. I-14 would be my second pick of that group.

Check out a post of mine on my land tour. I was approved to plant a mix of 1/3 of each: switchgrass, big bluestem & indiangrass. Not promoting a product but "bedding in a bag" is just that from "real world seed". I then allow the natural weeds grow in it as well. I have pics in my land tour thread. My exp in pricing them was that switch is the cheapest, the big bluestem and for some reason indiangrass was the most expensive of those 3.

I'm looking for about a third of the buffer to be in quail and pheasant habitat, and the rest mainly deer cover and bedding

With CP33 you are talking a max of 120ft,I wouldn't imagine trying to separate between deer and quail in that small of area will work as by the time the NWSg gets going and seeds it will all be the same.I don't see deer bedding in much of mine even though it's 6ft tall.They seem to rather bed in timber or in shrub thickets.If I plant a thicket in the middle of the grass that's where almost all the wildlife will be located.sandhill1.jpg

These are sandhill plums,the main reason I plant this and fragrant sumac is that that's what grows in my sandy soil.I see fawns to bucks in the shrub plots.

I'm looking for about a third of the buffer to be in quail and pheasant habitat, and the rest mainly deer cover and bedding
For deer switch is hard to beat. Easy to plant ,6'tall, and stands up all Winter. Indian grass is good for bedding also at 5'+ tall. Indian grass seems to take over most NWSG plantings I my experience. I do not like Big Blue Stem. It will be the first to blow over in early Fall and under drought and or rank stand wont go to seed leaving it about 18" tall. For all game you will need to keep you NWSG from getting rank. 50%+ bare ground is ideal.

With CP33 you are talking a max of 120ft,I wouldn't imagine trying to separate between deer and quail in that small of area will work as by the time the NWSg gets going and seeds it will all be the same.I don't see deer bedding in much of mine even though it's 6ft tall.They seem to rather bed in timber or in shrub thickets.If I plant a thicket in the middle of the grass that's where almost all the wildlife will be located.View attachment 1203
It's a 180 acre property with three different ag fields. One of the fields borders an 80 that is managed strictly for game birds. That's the border that I would use for upland habitat. The other borders are near timber, and better suited for deer.

I also like the E14 mix. As others have said, definitely make sure there is switch in there. Cave in Rock is a good switch that seems to stand up good during the winter.

Back