Attracting mature bucks

Bullwinkle

We all know mature bucks move from their summer range to a fall location

What do you do to intice them to move to your farm?

Not all of them move.

I will generally only have from 1 to 3 in any given year, but few actually move away. I can only remember on pair of mature bucks that spent the summer here and changed ranges in the fall. Many, however, will increase their "range size" during the rut. I usually keep whatever has been here in the summer and gain one or two more for a few weeks during the rut.

Having a doe factory is the greatest thing in the world in November.

Having the best food around and the best cover around also helps a little bit - but that explains why you will have a doe factory in the first place.

My experience is that the "negative doe factory line" is a bunch of bunk. The gurus have to come up with something new from time to time to get you to believe they know more than you so that they can sell you some snake oil.

If you build good habitat you will have all kinds of deer (old bucks, young bucks, does, fawns, etc.) living on the same hundred acres year round. They may not necessarily be socializing together, but they will segregate into their respective groups and be close by.

Long live the sexy doe factory..........

Security. No moving stands, no towers, no plots, no trail cams, no on site scouting, no boots on the ground. Use the wind, sneak in and hunt, sneak out undetected, etc.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The deer here move out as soon as greenup occurs and then start filtering back in July, August, and gradually increase through November. I don't have a doe factory and usually only have 1 or 2 does using the place in spring and summer. Usually have a couple mature bucks swinging through and a few young bucks here all the time. This is all big woods and I have the best food around with some plots and lots of hard mast so th population on our place is as good as its going to get by mid-late November and those does that move in drag every buck around in here...

We have an absolute stud one mile north of me

Security, best food in neighborhood, plenty of girls and cross my fingers?

Good news is we get plenty of south winds. I've noticed most of the bucks we draw come from the east and I always thought the wind played a role

Year round, easy food source. Big bucks are lazy. They dont like to move much. Make your ground their kitchen. Make it where they dont have to leave. About half my bucks will leave during rut to go look for does. Our state g&f had the bright idea that a balanced herd was the best thing for everyone. Only thing is - one or two does isnt enough for most bucks - so about half my bucks leave looking for does. But, they know where the food is and when the rut is over, they start filtering back. It helps to have a long season or you might not be able to hunt them when they show back up.

One thing trail cameras have taught me over the last few years is the importance of the second rut in December in this area. We generally are through hunting by then, but it would be a great time to be hunting. I think bucks must range out further in the second rut than they do in the first rut.

If you think about it, this makes sense. There are fewer does coming in heat, so a greater area has to be covered to find them. We have regulars in December that never show before then.

One of those made an exception last year, and followed a doe into our place at daylight in November during rifle season. I have 3 years of December history on him prior to this and not another picture any other time. I'm to pick him up tomorrow afternoon from the Tax Man. He aged the deer at minimum 5 and possibly 6.

I believe buck movement in the rut has a personality component to it. Some bucks have a defined tight home range and hardly ever leave it for any reason. I've seen a buck grow to be 7 yrs old watching him his whole life and only once saw him leave about 80 acres. He did have all the components he needed ;food, water and enough does to keep him home thru the rut.{ He died tragically in an accident with my .270 at 7:) }

then there are bucks that pick up and move every year for reasons unknown. Again I can offer an example of a buck we have been watching for several years now that has shifted his winter range about 3-4 miles every year. No reason to as he has everything he needs in his summer range. he just moves. It is an annual occurrence to see some bucks move several miles in one day . Then end up back home within a day or two. Those also tend to be the ones that fight a lot and also get killed by other bucks or guns.

It doesn't take many does to keep a buck occupied throughout the rut. Generally they will stay tight to a doe cycling in for several days up to a week or more. Research has shown that most bucks don't breed more than about 3 does a season [ in reasonably well balanced herds ] So provide the basics...food , water, cover and a reasonable population of does and the reason some bucks move is back to personality.That said on any given day a buck just might go on a walkabout which keeps it interesting for all.

One other point is that shifting territories during the rut can have a lot to do with age and age structure. A youngster is far more likely to do a walkabout and/or seek new rutting territory than an older established buck who owns the neighborhood. Partially explains why a 2-3 yr old is so much more visible in the rut.

One thing trail cameras have taught me over the last few years is the importance of the second rut in December in this area. We generally are through hunting by then, but it would be a great time to be hunting. I think bucks must range out further in the second rut than they do in the first rut.

If you think about it, this makes sense. There are fewer does coming in heat, so a greater area has to be covered to find them. We have regulars in December that never show before then.

One of those made an exception last year, and followed a doe into our place at daylight in November during rifle season. I have 3 years of December history on him prior to this and not another picture any other time. I'm to pick him up tomorrow afternoon from the Tax Man. He aged the deer at minimum 5 and possibly 6.
The mount you are picking up...is it the deer your son shot and you found a few days later?

In my area not many bucks are able to make it to 4.5+, but one thing I have noticed over the years with trail cams is that I have random bucks appearing in late November and December when the snow starts to get deeper. So late Fall/Winter food sources may be one way to draw them.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I believe buck movement in the rut has a personality component to it. Some bucks have a defined tight home range and hardly ever leave it for any reason. I've seen a buck grow to be 7 yrs old watching him his whole life and only once saw him leave about 80 acres. He did have all the components he needed ;food, water and enough does to keep him home thru the rut.{ He died tragically in an accident with my .270 at 7:) }

then there are bucks that pick up and move every year for reasons unknown. Again I can offer an example of a buck we have been watching for several years now that has shifted his winter range about 3-4 miles every year. No reason to as he has everything he needs in his summer range. he just moves. It is an annual occurrence to see some bucks move several miles in one day . Then end up back home within a day or two. Those also tend to be the ones that fight a lot and also get killed by other bucks or guns.

It doesn't take many does to keep a buck occupied throughout the rut. Generally they will stay tight to a doe cycling in for several days up to a week or more. Research has shown that most bucks don't breed more than about 3 does a season [ in reasonably well balanced herds ] So provide the basics...food , water, cover and a reasonable population of does and the reason some bucks move is back to personality.That said on any given day a buck just might go on a walkabout which keeps it interesting for all.

One other point is that shifting territories during the rut can have a lot to do with age and age structure. A youngster is far more likely to do a walkabout and/or seek new rutting territory than an older established buck who owns the neighborhood. Partially explains why a 2-3 yr old is so much more visible in the rut.
Thoughtful post Baker

Back