ASH?

buckhunter10

I have saved a lot of ash this year from fireplaces. I have 2 wood burners at my home plus the farm we burn through a cord or two a year. This means I have a lot of great hardwood ash.

Any benefit to spreading this on plots? I figure I will have two or three 30 gallon trash cans full of ash. I normally spread some on my garden but this year Ill have more than usual. Thanks for the tips.

Spread it well ahead of planting but not on frozen soil. Oxides of Ca and K in wood ash are highly caustic and cause dramatic reaction in soil so you don't want that going on while seeds are germinating. Figure spreading at a 1-2 ton per ac rate....which is 0.5-1 lb per 10 square feet. I strew it across the yard one fox-hole shovel full at a time.

Spread it well ahead of planting but not on frozen soil. Oxides of Ca and K in wood ash are highly caustic and cause dramatic reaction in soil so you don't want that going on while seeds are germinating. Figure spreading at a 1-2 ton per ac rate....which is 0.5-1 lb per 10 square feet. I strew it across the yard one fox-hole shovel full at a time.

thank you Dgallow! I am not sure how much I will even have but I can probably fill my PTO spreader to the top atlas one time. I will spread it on a plot this year and next year do a different plot. Slowly but surely I will hope to add some OM to the soil.

I am going to do the same for my garden behind the house.

I usually save it to toss on my dirt driveway in the winter when it gets icy, but starting two months ago I started
tossing it as well as any of the bio-char I get out of some stove clean outs into one half of the small plot next to
the house. I am just going to compare the growth on one side as opposed to the other.

Back