Anyone feeding minerals?

Sampson

I have used everything from cheap cattle salt blocks to high end deer minerals over the years, some obviously worked better then others. Recently, I started using Purina Antler Max. The deer are hammering it, including the Bucks. This suprised me as antler growing is about done here in Oklahoma. The mineral site seems to be the first stop for the adult deer even over the feeder mix, I feed out. I set the mineral site close to the feeder because I already had a camera set up there and wanted to see way kind of reaction the deer had to it. So far, I'm pretty impressed. Just curious to see what everyone else is using and what kind of results your getting.

I have always wondered about the Purina Antler Max, it has good online reviews but curious to hear about it first hand, might have to put that out next spring.

I have used everything from cheap cattle salt blocks to high end deer minerals over the years, some obviously worked better then others. Recently, I started using Purina Antler Max. The deer are hammering it, including the Bucks. This suprised me as antler growing is about done here in Oklahoma. The mineral site seems to be the first stop for the adult deer even over the feeder mix, I feed out. I set the mineral site close to the feeder because I already had a camera set up there and wanted to see way kind of reaction the deer had to it. So far, I'm pretty impressed. Just curious to see what everyone else is using and what kind of results your getting.
I am like you and have used it all over the years. I admit I have not tried the Purina product yet. I will give it a shot.

The product deer in my part of the world seem to love most is the ultra expensive Trophy rock.

I use a mineral block from Atwood's and then dump a little ice melt on top of it. I dig a hole and put the min block 3/4 the way in the ground. The deer hit it but not like they do "ice melt" which is calcium chloride, mag chloride, and potassium chloride. The deer LOVE it. when ever I put it out, it ends up being a 3-4 ft. wide hole in the ground 8-10 inches deep.

salt is a mineral but has no benefit,Usually best luck with minerals is in spring.I tried the purina feed and had no luck with it.I have had the best luck with berry flavored record rack.I will be trying grandpa rays outdoors mineral next spring.

A couple of you made mention of putting out minerals "next spring" I know deer make the most use of minerals during the green months. But do you not make minerals available year round ?

I have been putting the red mineral blocks out for years. Most of the time they last abt a year. I have plenty of pictures of the deer eat them. I have tried the flavored ones but if the hogs show up they are gone over night.

Back