Anyone ever host a physical property tour?

j-bird

Has anyone ever hosted a physical property tour?

I have been to some, but never hosted one. I am kicking around the idea of one, but I'm more than a little reluctant. Just looking for the experiences that others may have had hosting one or even attending one.

A particular someone (whom shall remain anonymous) from this site got me to thinking about possibly hosting one of these. So I'm kicking the tires on the idea.

I haven't yet but definitely would like to in the future once I've had more time to implement some of my improvements. I have been to a particular forum member's property for a tour, and it was a huge success that resulted in lots of great ideas for my own property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't yet but definitely would like to in the future once I've had more time to implement some of my improvements. I have been to a particular forum member's property for a tour, and it was a huge success that resulted in lots of great ideas for my own property.

Can you expand (without throwing anyone under the bus) what you liked about the visit? What did they do that you liked, what was some things you though could have been better?

I have been to a property tour and a QDMA demo day.

The property tour was the most interesting simply because the individual uses a consultant. The consultant does at least a portion of the habitat work himself with his crew. We had a property map and then we would walk the property and look at the various habitat projects and the consultant would speak to the group (which was 50 or more) about what was going on. I personally think some folks missed out on some things as I think a group of 50 with one speaker while trying to move in and around in the woods is difficult. I liked the timing of it as it was in the late spring when temps where not to bad and you could see thru the woods as the green had not popped yet.

The demo day was a similar thing, but there was less emphasis on the why and how. It was more of a "this is what we have done". They where more focused on using a plotmaster I think it was and planting a plot. It felt more like a QDMA, seed and equipment sales pitch more so than anything. This was later in the spring and leaves where fully out so seeing was more difficult. It was my first such experience as well so maybe it was just me.

If I were to do it, it would be with only a handful of people +/-. My TN.gov forester and one member here, who shall remain nameless to protect the chestnuts.....

Can you expand (without throwing anyone under the bus) what you liked about the visit? What did they do that you liked, what was some things you though could have been better?

So I should have been more specific.. the property tour I am referring to was an informal one on one with the landowner who was gracious enough to host me since I was in the area for my job and had some time to kill over the weekend.

We basically drove to a few different spots on the perimeter of his property and hopped out for various hikes around certain areas where he had done improvements. All total, I expect we covered more than a few miles on foot as we walked through some of his stand access routes, deer walkways, food plots, bedding areas, etc. it was a great experience to see how the deer used his property and some of the challenges he faced with meeting his property goals. His winters are much more harsh than mine so I got to see first hand how his deer had to adapt to survive. He had also been implementing a property plan drawn up by Steve Bartylla so it was great to see how the landowner had executed some of the same things that I would later be doing on my own property. The tour occurred in February I believe so there were no issues with visibility through the trees.

I have been to a land tour in Indiana in the spring of 2014. It was very educational for me. A one day event showed up buck bed, hinge cuts, sidewalk (trails cut thru thickets and woods, stressed stand entry, showed does beds close to plots and buck beds on points, etc.

Consultant answered tons of questions and landowner answered some.

That land tour was the first drone I have ever seen. No charge for attending but I donated $40 to the landowner.

As a result of that land tour I got active on the old site which in turn led to me the current forum. I give it credit for me getting active with Chinese Chestnut distribution as I realized my retirement was coming up.

I don't have the land to have a property tour but would love to attend one on a few property tours I see on this site.

Good thread you started - thanks J-Bird.

Wayne

I have been to a land tour in Indiana in the spring of 2014. It was very educational for me. A one day event showed up buck bed, hinge cuts, sidewalk (trails cut thru thickets and woods, stressed stand entry, showed does beds close to plots and buck beds on points, etc.

Consultant answered tons of questions and landowner answered some.

That land tour was the first drone I have ever seen. No charge for attending but I donated $40 to the landowner.

As a result of that land tour I got active on the old site which in turn led to me the current forum. I give it credit for me getting active with Chinese Chestnut distribution as I realized my retirement was coming up.

I don't have the land to have a property tour but would love to attend one on a few property tours I see on this site.

Good thread you started - thanks J-Bird.

Wayne
Wayne - by chance was the property you visited Andy Hayes - over near Terre Haute IN? I have been to Andy's place twice now - and what you describe sounds very similar to what I witnessed there.

I would do one but I figure folks would get tired of looking at Oak/Pine/Hickory woods and Hollows and bottoms pretty quick. "Brushpile" came out and we were over there and he said "How do you know where to put stands"... LOL... No openings in here other than a couple small dozed in ones and movement is all based on structure of the land. Terrain features and mast determine travel routes...

J Bird,

I attended the first one they had. It was a little wet but it turned out great. The next two I had conflicts and could not make it.

Jim Ward did a good job showing and telling the day I attended.

Wayne

[
J Bird,

I attended the first one they had. It was a little wet but it turned out great. The next two I had conflicts and could not make it.

Jim Ward did a good job showing and telling the day I attended.

Wayne
Well it's a small world - I was there as well. It has gotten bigger as I went this past year as well and it was pushing 70 people. I swear if I host one - I'm making everyone introduce themselves or wear name tags because on more than one occasion I have been to the same event as other internet friends and not met them face to face only to find out later we missed a great opportunity.

I have participated in all of Andy's property walks. I have always left the walks feeling that I learned a thing or two and really appreciate the opportunities! I do agree that the last two have probably been just a tad too big group wise and that it was difficult to hear Andy or Jim when they were speaking.

I've been on one official qdma property tour day which included a consultant. It was great. Definitely set a high bar as it was over 400 very well managed acres.

I have been on many many informal land tours from farmers, friends, neighbors and land managers. Honestly I like the smaller tours a lot as it is hard to beat one on one dialogue for learning. Also I appreciate being on small or very imperfect properties - that probably would never host a group of 50. In that same vein, if you visit me it will take some effort to avoid a land tour!

Regardless, it's pretty interesting to see another persons property and their line of thinking, especially if its in an area/state that not real familiar with. We do lot of things similar on this forum, but a lot of our choices are area dictated. I was lucky enough to have DGallow show me his place as I passed thru on a motorcycle ride last summer. He did a great job explaining how he managed cattle and wildlife and what he had done, and the results. It was a good time and I enjoyed it even tho we rushed him somewhat thanks to our limited schedule. And its a huge plus to meet and put a face and personality to a forum friend. I'm like Okie, by the time I made everyone walk up the mountain to the back of my farm, they would be ready for oxygen and and a nap.:)

Last edited:
Has anyone ever hosted a physical property tour?

I have been to some, but never hosted one. I am kicking around the idea of one, but I'm more than a little reluctant. Just looking for the experiences that others may have had hosting one or even attending one.

A particular someone (whom shall remain anonymous) from this site got me to thinking about possibly hosting one of these. So I'm kicking the tires on the idea.

Thinking some more about your original comment and question. I don't think I would ever host a public event at my land. I am just too much of a control freak and like my privacy. It would be hard to enforce a sanctuary or know the intentions of all guests in a large group.

I'd much prefer giving small tours to groups of reasonably known individuals. Within this forum, I'd be interested in visiting or willing to host on a more individual basis. There's a lot to be learned from observation.

J-bird,
I would encourage you to host a tour. I attended two last year for the first time. The first was at Andy's property last Spring where I remember you being there. I got the most from that one as I took away a number of ideas from Jim and Andy's comments.

The second I attended was Dr. Grant Woods Growing Deer field days last spring. This was one that was sponsor oriented. I still came away some new ideas. I really enjoy listening to Dr. Woods ideas on habitat mgt. and would have preferred hearing him more.

As for ideas on a tour of your property, I would keep it structured with an agenda of the different habitat types and techniques you want to show the attendees. Then allow time for the attendees to have a discussion of how they approach the same problems you are facing. Use the tour as an opportunity to learn from others as much as you showing them what you are doing.

Merry Christmas to all!

I watched the YouTube video of the tour of Andy's property and enjoyed it. I would really enjoy to go to one, but I had a conflict when Andy did his.

I think a Google Earth property tour would be cool. You could host an online meeting and let people join from the comfort of their couch. If you started with a marked up google earth map, I think others would get quite a bit out of it. You could walk through some past hunts (why they were successful) and talk about improvements you have made. It wouldn't be the same as physically being on the property, but it would give everyone a good overview and provide an opportunity to discuss the details.

Back