Anyone else got these big boys in their food plots?

Not yet but they have started a stocking of them in my state. Guess bigger plots in order.

I have seen what deer can do to a corn or bean field.....I can't imagine what an elk or moose would do to one. I bet they would be quite hard on plots and fruit trees as well.

We have them here in Oklahoma in some WMA's they have stocked and some private Nature conservancy type areas but they have done poorly. Here in Oklahoma if you are hunting deer on PRIVATE land and one happens to walk by you can shoot it with whatever weapon is legal for deer at that time...

I have had several under my treestands when bowhunting in the WMA's...problem is the deer don't really like them so when the elk are around you don't see any deer...

Thanks all. He's a beautiful bull. He has a pal with him too.

I'm in northern lower Michigan, Otsego County to be precise. Elk were restored here back in the early 1960's, after having been hunted out of Michigan in the late 1800's. We manage a population of about 800 elk now.

Drawing a license is like hitting the lotto, but I still try every year. Guided a couple lucky guys on our property back when I was in college. That was fun!

They can hit the crops pretty hard, but in my specific area it is mostly forest (not enough food for more than a few) so the herd tends to be nearby but not centered on the property. I usually have a few bulls in the foodplots in spring/summer, then they leave to fight each other for a harem where the cows are herding.

Love to see them, especially face to face. Have been within ten yards of mature bulls before, when hiking or bird hunting. Amazing experience!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No but I want one. I had one on my place visiting a mineral lick several times in a week and then he was gone. It was neat while he was on the lick as there were several bucks standing in background just watching him. No one has an idea where he came from as there is no game farm around here and the closest herd is 140 miles away.

There is a cow about .5 mile from the farm. I've seen tracks but never have had a pic of one. A nice bull was running around, but he either got killed or took off. There were several herds before season was opened on them. Cool pic!

Back