Any ideas re: problem with this pear?

I have a 2017 planted moon glow that seems to be really struggling right now. It's a small tree and is really struggling with random leaves turning black in areas and falling. It's been a wet summer so I know watering isn't the issue, and it's planted near a 4 year old tree that is/ has always been healthy. The site stays dry, so it should be thriving. Admittedly, I had another 'glow with a similar issue 2 years ago but never was quite this bad.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Will post pics soon- having trouble uploading on the app for whatever reason

9fb1f176990d6f4d8af344ae3adebae0.jpg
d381a063a16ba228ecc60a43a11b4eec.jpg

Last edited:
I posted similar picture and Native Hunter confirmed I had fire blight
Z6fsZnT.jpg

I have noticed it a lot in our area on trees at folks' houses and pastures. Hopefully just a passing thing

I wondered if it could be, but thought that surely it wasn't since this tree hasn't been in the ground more than 2 months. Would it be wise to cut down completely or prune it back?

I posted similar picture and Native Hunter confirmed I had fire blight
Z6fsZnT.jpg

I have noticed it a lot in our area on trees at folks' houses and pastures. Hopefully just a passing thing

Hate to hear that, lak, and appreciate yalls responses. Disappointed that it has shown up. I thought I wouldn't have to worry about it this year since the late freeze cost me the few that were set to bear fruit this year, but I guess I was wrong!

My moonglow i planted this summer did the same thing really bad, tore it outta the ground. Ill try something else later, moonglow must be bad for it even though its "resistant"

Makes me wonder if it's actually moonglow. Normally I think it's very solid against fire blight.

Also just looking at that picture I'm not 100% sure it is fireblight. I can't see any Sheppard's hooks which is a big sign. Could it be heat stress? Trees planted in their first year have much more top mass than root structure and can't get dry out quick.

Im also wondering if its a moonglow . The moonglow is one pear that Ive never seen FB on . My Kieffers get FB almost every year , but its usually not too bad . I cut the branches off in the middle of winter . Kieffers are very hardy , tough pear trees .

I can see Lak's tree well enough to know it is FB but can't say that for Surgical's tree. I need a better pic but from what I've seen I doubt it.

I would also be shocked to see FB on a real Moonglow. Mine have never shown the first hint despite being close to some apple trees that do get FB.

Also if that tree didn't flower this year it is doubtful that it would show any FB.

I dont think it is FB either. I have found Moonglow to be finicky growers the first year or two. Once they become more established they seem to less prone to leaf browning.

Maybe mine wasnt fb then, i dunno but didnt wanna risk it. Month or so after planting 75% of leaves were black and the tips of branches were black and shriveled as well. I need to find a new pear to go with my keiffer!

I had several big trophy pears that got FB real bad 2 years in a row so I cut down all but 2 and this year they have more pears than any other.Usually I see shepards hook shaped limbs on FB.i do lose a few trees to either voles or gophers each year.They will eat all the roots.I had a 2 year old pear that was looking something like this and I just cut all the bad limbs off and it looks pretty good now

Makes me wonder if it's actually moonglow. Normally I think it's very solid against fire blight.

Also just looking at that picture I'm not 100% sure it is fireblight. I can't see any Sheppard's hooks which is a big sign. Could it be heat stress? Trees planted in their first year have much more top mass than root structure and can't get dry out quick.

That would make sense in most years since it does get so hot if they're set a little later in the spring, but this year, we have experienced an incredible amount of rainfall consistently from may 1- today. Also, I planted a hood and Baldwin tree as well, and they are both really thriving (outside of some scab on the Baldwin).

I have yet to see blight on any of my trees thus far and the bulk of them bloomed this spring, with several having bloomed last spring as well. I yanked the fruit from them last year (a few kieffers and ayers) but a late frost ended any hopes for fruit this year on the older trees. This 'glow was actually planted a little while after the others had bloomed

Back