Any concerns about chicken litter on food plots?

YES!!! If it’s raw/fresh. Purely anecdotal with no evidence other than my own observation. Put 16 tons of raw litter on largest plot in spring of 2015. Turkey population literally crashed. Just now starting to come back. No ideas if it could have been caused by chicken litter but have read that raw litter is not good for turkeys/quail. Would love to hear from someone truly knowledgeable on this subject.

I wouldn't have any issues---as a matter of fact that is the only thing I use. Unlike AC, I like mine as hot and fresh as I can get it but plow in immediately. I like having the high N content stay with me to break down the organics in the litter itself. We do not have a turkey population though. Like AC mentioned I have my concerns about it in areas where chicken farming isn't common. I believe all the litter farmers have been putting on fields in southern Georgia led to a downturn in the turkey population down there while up in here in north Georgia, where chicken farming is extremely common, there doesn't seem to have been the same affect. I suppose being around it forever has helped the local turkeys build up immunity to some common chicken diseases to a degree.

Its all I use and all I'm going to use if anything. Modest turkey population but growing

I wouldn't have any issues---as a matter of fact that is the only thing I use. Unlike AC, I like mine as hot and fresh as I can get it but plow in immediately. I like having the high N content stay with me to break down the organics in the litter itself. We do not have a turkey population though. Like AC mentioned I have my concerns about it in areas where chicken farming isn't common. I believe all the litter farmers have been putting on fields in southern Georgia led to a downturn in the turkey population down there while up in here in north Georgia, where chicken farming is extremely common, there doesn't seem to have been the same affect. I suppose being around it forever has helped the local turkeys build up immunity to some common chicken diseases to a degree.

Tommy...Just read an interesting paper published by the GA WRD regarding poultry litter. The consensus of the paper was that, as you pointed out, they found no connection to disease when using broiler litter vs laying hen litter.

So do the above comments hold true with turkey litter also? That is what I have readily available and been thinking of doing it. Won't be doing any tillage tho.

Back