Another tree to add to my farm.....

Goldentriangle

Tonight I took a walk up the street to collect some dunstan chestnuts from my neighbor's hobby orchard. As I was talking to him and picking his brain on the Chestnuts another tree caught my eye. He tells me it is a butternut. Long story short I ended up with 140 Dunstan nuts and 9 butternuts. Does anybody have any experience with growing butternuts? Do they even have much value to deer or other wildlife. I don't care to just feed squirrels, they need to benefit more than just tree rats.
Thanks
Scott
8629315b34eab26d26f953a0ec6547dd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never seen much outside the squirrels eat them, but you might consider planting a few for yourself. In my opinion the nuts are better than black walnuts. Some people refer to them as white walnut trees.

Ok definitely not a deer tree. I will probably still plant them on the farm for diversity but our property is loaded with multiple kinds of oaks so I already have enough squirrel food. I will return my focus to the chestnuts.
Thanks
Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As others have stated it is definitely not a major wildlife food aside from the obvious. However, I would be careful about planting them in a location of particular value. In the last few decades a major disease has killed off the majority of the butternuts in the south and is heading north through the Appalachians. I will do some more checking on that tomorrow and try to get some particulars from the Forestry Dept. here in Blacksburg.

There's a black canker that can develop in mature trees and every large tree on my property in Western NY is showing signs. I've been told that it's still worth planting them, if only to keep the genetics alive. I'm growing a few this winter from seed.

There's a black canker that can develop in mature trees and every large tree on my property in Western NY is showing signs. I've been told that it's still worth planting them, if only to keep the genetics alive. I'm growing a few this winter from seed.
That's the way I see it also. Keep planting a few instead of giving up until nature turns the tide on a disease which is usually does.

They make beautiful timber! they are not much use for wildlife. They will very much so look like black walnut unless you really look close so you may want to mark them. My grandfather planted a few in his walnut grove and you have to look real close to see the differences - everyone I know that plants them in any sizable volume does so for timber.

Back