Annual plot question....

readonly

Will an annual plot regrow itself its own seed?

I have one small (about .2 acre) annual plot of No-Plow that I have planted for the last several years. Basically, about this time of year I go in with a weedeater. In a couple weeks I go back and spray with gly. Then again a couple weeks later. Once it's completely dead I go back in August and broadcast the No-Plow seed when the weather seems right.

Today as I was weed eating I noticed the annual stalks from last year had died off after going to seed, and the ground was covered with seed. Still a bit of the clover growing and some weeds, but the plot was largely dead. Just wondered if all those seeds would replant itself.

Depends on the crop and your location.
Balansa Fixation clover is advertised to be a dependable re-seeder (although I'm not sure that mine has done as well as I'd hoped).
Sunn Hemp is one that they promise us will not re-seed itself in the North but may reseed itself in South Florida.
Viability % of the seed of some annuals may be reduced, too. We've tried gathering and replanting Clearfield Sunflowers but the viability rate wasn't very good (maybe we weren't doing something right in harvesting the seed?)

Why not start with a perennial clover? You can always over seed it with an annual clover, brassicas, wheat or cereal rye, in the fall and then terminate those, the following spring, if they aren't already dead. That way, you'd always have something growing in there and always have a protein available to the deer at the time of the year that they need it most.

Why not start with a perennial clover? You can always over seed it with an annual clover, brassicas, wheat or cereal rye, in the fall and then terminate those, the following spring, if they aren't already dead. That way, you'd always have something growing in there and always have a protein available to the deer at the time of the year that they need it most.

I agree. With the work you are doing you could just as easy plant a substantially better plot. Don't sell yourself short on the "no plow" mixes. What you are describing is basically what others have touted as "Throw and Mow" technique with great results. Look it up.

Back