Alfalfa Plot Addition

Elkaddict

In the ever continuing push to add diversity to our plots, I'm contemplating moving one our corn/bean plots to alfalfa. We already have significant clover/chicory acreage which the deer readily use. This is really more about diversity/attraction than tonnage of production. PH is in the 6.5 range and the location should be ideal soil wise and to promote movement. I understand if consumption is not high enough, I may have to mow/rake periodically. I'd have to get by with a York rake--I have no motivation to bale it and I don't believe it would be worth a local farmer's trouble to move the equipment in. My first question is is it worth the trouble? Second question for those who've used it, is the RR variety worth the exorbitant price? This would be part of a 6 acre plot complex that will have LC grain, LC brassicas, red clover, white clover/chicory, and rutabaga/Winfred brassica/beet plots. Presently, the deer do the buffet line thing and feed into each of the plots. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I have done it since I started food plotting, having a strip of alfalfa in my plots and I have never baled it, just mowed it a couple times during the summer just like you would if you were baling it. Are these strips like a hay field probably not but they have lasted 3-4 years and as they are starting to get thin I'll frost seed some clover into them and have a clover plot and I'll kill my existing clover strip and start another alfalfa strip, just keep rotating them. I have used vernal alfalfa which is generally the cheapest.

Pic of the strip next ot my sorghum.

There is some chicory in there too.

I would say go for it!

I have the exact same thing in my big plot and I just planted 1 acre of alfalfa in the fall but I may overseed with RR come spring.I should be able to over seed since it has only been a couple months

I have a 1.3 acre alfalfa plot with beans, corn, oats/peas, and brassica all within the same area

I have a medium to high deer population. I'd say every night I hunted there were deer in the alfalfa but the beans, brassica and oats normally have more

I think it also depends what your neighbors are planting. I have farmers with great alfalfa stands

I have a local farmer who bales my plot 3 times a year. If you get a good plot you'll be amazed at the production. I add about 300lb of potash, and 10lb of boron a year on it

If you get a thick stand I'd worry about not removing the cuttings and killing spots on your stand

When mine dies out I'll probably not replace it - more beans

I believe mine is going into its 5 th year. Combo of chicory, clover, alfalfa. Great drought buster plot. Sits on high ridge facing south. I overseed it each year with the mix, add 0-20-20 and boron as needed. Deer keep it mowed. I mow about 12 in high maybe 3 times summer with no baling and no issues. Looks and grows great. Exclusion cage alfalfa is always 6-12 in taller than field where browsed even now in mid winter. Really not the drama its made to be if you don't want a monoculture plot for baling for cattle. I intend to double its size this fall.
Funny, I drove out today on my lunch to check a farm I used to hunt years ago. The farmer always had a 10 ac alfalfa field that made for great hunting. He is who taught me how great it is. At mid day, there were a dozen deer in that field. He has since died and I sure miss hunting that land. It was cool to see. Wish I had taken pics if I knew you were thinking this. Good luck.

Thanks for the responses. Buck, would you spend the $ on RR seed? Bull, is there anything about the locations of those plots that impacts where they spend the most time? I know at out place, the clover and grains are closest to cover so it appears they spend the most daylight hours there. Of course, they're hammering all of them after dark. Anyone have a sense as to how much of a winter draw the alfalfa would be compared to grains or clovers?

Dog, how would you rate year round attraction of alfalfa v. healthy clover stands?
Loaded question. If moisture is good, then certainly they are equal. But if drought begins, and in heat of Aug when it is typically dry, then alfalfa and chicory are the Trump cards. I would never choose one or the other, but as you said, a variety. My plots follow from ridge top down along bottom,and up into a ravine, consisting of a variety of green plantings. My deer browse all the above depending on what they want, moving from one to the other and hitting natural browse along the way. I do know they keep that alfalfa mowed and I like how it covers me in heat of summer with good green feed, when clover is do dormant and poor looking, yet alfalfa still provides year round.
Deer typically will back off alfalfa after the first freeze and when acorns fall, then back on it by mid Dec. It may look brown, but they love it just as that field I saw today.
I did plant after several years rotation of LCs mixes. My ph is 7 and soil tests are VH in all aspects. I did it out of boredom just to change things up quite honestly, but no doubt it was the best thing I've ever done especially on that hot dry ridge.

Thanks for the responses. Buck, would you spend the $ on RR seed? Bull, is there anything about the locations of those plots that impacts where they spend the most time? I know at out place, the clover and grains are closest to cover so it appears they spend the most daylight hours there. Of course, they're hammering all of them after dark. Anyone have a sense as to how much of a winter draw the alfalfa would be compared to grains or clovers?
My plot is actually in the best location. The deer come out into the alfalfa, take a couple of nibbles as they go into the beans and sometimes the corn. It gets the best use in the summer (especially just after a cutting) and when the beans are yellow. When the beans are yellow typically the acorns are peaking so not as many deer hit the plots in daylight

If you have issues with grass yes I think it's worth it.In my area there are mostly weeds that are roundup resistant so if I keep the grass down I am hoping I can keep thick enough to help choke out weeds

If you have issues with grass yes I think it's worth it.In my area there are mostly weeds that are roundup resistant so if I keep the grass down I am hoping I can keep thick enough to help choke out weeds
Side note, I did not use RR alfalfa, partly cause expense is not worth it for deer farmer,and as said, had clover and chicory mixed in. Bought it from local Coop.
I do spray Cleth usually in May to set back grasses, but weeds are no concern as deer will eat most of those also. By mowing, I keep the weeds in ck. The only place I struggle with the crop growing is under a large Walnut tree. Never was much an issue with clover, but alfalfa doesn't like it, either the shade or the intrinsic suppression caused by walnut.
I will say also on the attraction, sometimes I have to look close at the alfalfa as the deer mow it so tight it looks like they are ignoring the clover. For deer, I would def do variety. But I would never choose any over another whether it be clovers, brassica, chicory, alfalfa, or natural browse.
Side note, turkey love feeding on any insects in the alfalfa. I never have had an issue with insects in it as some will say can be a problem.

Alfalfa can be a great addition if you have the need and conditions for it. I don't, and as such I won't mess with it again. My opinion is that first of all you need decent deer numbers. The number of deer can reduce the mowing needed of the plot and as such keep the plant from becoming tough - which the deer don't like. I can grow small plots of soybeans without the need for a fence so I don;t have the pressure on my plots like some do. Secondly it takes pretty good soil conditions to grow it. My plots are in old crop fields so the soil I have is pretty good and where my alfalfa is it is a course soil that drains well and gets full sun. I also think a person would be best served with it when they have a decent amount of summer stress on other plot plants.

Alfalfa is simply another "tool" in the box so to speak. If you "need" it, it can be very valuable and worthwhile, if you simply "want" it - then that is fine as well. I don't see it as a "need" in my area. My other perennial plots do fairly well even thru the summers and I am surrounded by 100's of acres of soybeans for the deer to browse on all summer long as well. Every situation is different - so you will have to make that call.

Appreciate the responses. J-bird, you brought up that damned 4 letter word "need".... If need governed my life, I wouldn't be on this site...:) In truth, I'm not sure I need it. I've got plenty of clover acreage that with our heavy dews,moderate temps and typical rain fall do quite well. I'd like something particularly attractive to bring deer closer to the stand in this plot complex. They take their time with everything else that's already typically there. I've also read alfalfa can be highly sought after in the winter (deer are already digging through snows to get to my clovers and grains). So I'm left scratching my head on the need question. Anyone else care to opine on the relative attractiveness in good soil with good moisture?

I have a mix of ladino and alfalfa in my perennial plot, and the deer always seem to prefer the alfalfa. They keep it pretty well in check while half of the clover will get tall enough to be mowed. When the clover goes dormant in the hot, dry part of summer the alfalfa keeps them coming in.

Back