A last look......

Drycreek

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg We are closing the sale on our 217 acres on Dec. 31st, so this morning I hunted my favorite stand forthe last time. We've owned this place for close to 12 years, and I've put in lots of hours on a dozer, backhoe, farm tractor, and just plain old manual labor to get it to where it is. The time comes however, when you have to reassess your priorities and adjust accordingly. Now, that's a fancy way of saying that I have too many places to work and hunt and this one is worth more in my bank account than it is to hunt. Everything I do there costs money and time and at 72 years old both are at a premium. I wish I could say I killed a nice buck on my last hunt, but I didn't. I wish I could even say I saw a deer:), but........not even a pig or coyote. Nonetheless, I sat from before daylight until 10:30 and some of that time was spent reflecting on just how much had changed in the years that I've spent on this place.

The pictures are different views from this stand. The plot has WW and MRC in it, and evidently they're eating it pretty well, because it's very short. This is my first plot with medium red added, thanks to you guys. My only regret is I'm not gonna be able to see what it does this summer. Maybe I'll wrangle an invite to come back and check on it;) In the lane towards the feeder is Fusion from WINA. Always makes a good spring/summer crop.

If I said I wasn't a little sad to be leaving all that I've done here behind, I'd be lying, but I think I made the right decision for my wife and myself. Now, if I could just find a 40/50 acre parcel within 15 minutes of home............

View attachment 14248 View attachment 14247 View attachment 14246 We are closing the sale on our 217 acres on Dec. 31st, so this morning I hunted my favorite stand forthe last time. We've owned this place for close to 12 years, and I've put in lots of hours on a dozer, backhoe, farm tractor, and just plain old manual labor to get it to where it is. The time comes however, when you have to reassess your priorities and adjust accordingly. Now, that's a fancy way of saying that I have too many places to work and hunt and this one is worth more in my bank account than it is to hunt. Everything I do there costs money and time and at 72 years old both are at a premium. I wish I could say I killed a nice buck on my last hunt, but I didn't. I wish I could even say I saw a deer:), but........not even a pig or coyote. Nonetheless, I sat from before daylight until 10:30 and some of that time was spent reflecting on just how much had changed in the years that I've spent on this place.

The pictures are different views from this stand. The plot has WW and MRC in it, and evidently they're eating it pretty well, because it's very short. This is my first plot with medium red added, thanks to you guys. My only regret is I'm not gonna be able to see what it does this summer. Maybe I'll wrangle an invite to come back and check on it;) In the lane towards the feeder is Fusion from WINA. Always makes a good spring/summer crop.

If I said I wasn't a little sad to be leaving all that I've done here behind, I'd be lying, but I think I made the right decision for my wife and myself. Now, if I could just find a 40/50 acre parcel within 15 minutes of home............
I know you just sold an 80 and now this...what do you have left? I couldn’t fathom selling our 90 but we do also live on it...

Ouch! Dry Creek, I hope the new owners take care of the property and enjoy it and appreciate it as much as you obviously did. And I hope you find a place close to home.

I know you just sold an 80 and now this...what do you have left? I couldn’t fathom selling our 90 but we do also live on it...

Nosir, that's the only place I sold. We live on an 84 acre place and have for 22 years. If we ever sell our home place it would be after I'm past caring. Too old to start over ! :D

Ouch! Dry Creek, I hope the new owners take care of the property and enjoy it and appreciate it as much as you obviously did. And I hope you find a place close to home.

I'm gonna assess the situation with the new owner and if he's as green as I was, I'm gonna offer some assistance. At the very least I need to do a tour and tell him what's growing where and how to take care of it. As usual when you go through a real estate broker, I've never talked to the new owner. I'll meet him at closing though, and offer my assistance at that time, such as it is.

Looks like a beautiful spot for your last sit. Best of luck with your next project / adventure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the thought of selling, I just can't think of it. Its probably fitting that the last hunt was reflective and not awesome. Hope your buyer appreciates the work you've done.

the thought of selling, I just can't think of it. Its probably fitting that the last hunt was reflective and not awesome. Hope your buyer appreciates the work you've done.

Thanks guys. Already been spurned on the 37 ac. next to me. I really wanted that place as it would have squared my place up with the road and gave me another pond site.

farmhunter, it was a tough decision but it was a wet natured place that the hogs loved and I was at least glad to be rid of them. I have them here at home and on my lease but they don’t do nearly the damage that they did on my 217 acres. That, coupled with the income and cutting
maintenance will help my bottom line considerably.

Drycreek...I must say I felt somewhat melancholy reading this post. I'm with Farmhunter - think it's prolly best that you had a day of reflection in the last sit on your place rather than trailing blood. Best of luck in whatever you decide to do going forward. Keep swinging the bat brother!

Drycreek...I must say I felt somewhat melancholy reading this post. I'm with Farmhunter - think it's prolly best that you had a day of reflection in the last sit on your place rather than trailing blood. Best of luck in whatever you decide to do going forward. Keep swinging the bat brother!

Thanks ! I have located a 75 acre place about 15 minutes from my house that was on the market just a while ago. It's completely covered in brush and timber, so it was hard for a realtor to show but that's just what I like ! You can't really see what's there from the frontage on the county road, but I'm gonna wander through it after deer season is over and give it a once over. If I can negotiate my price, it may be my new project !

Back