4x8 Box Blind Build

mattpatt

Nothing fancy. I wanted something with a lot of room. Base is made of 2x6 on 16" centers. All treated lumber including the 3/4" plywood for the top. Don't really have plans. Just building as I go. Got the front and the base complete so far. Going to install elevator brackets on the base. Will try to keep this thread updated as I go and include measurements if someone should want to build one.

Matt

4x8 is bigger than some of these "tiny homes" they taunt on TV these days. I like the way you have two shooting windows in the eight wall. I am sure you thought it would not be sturdy enough for the window to cover the entire wall.

Didn't get much done this weekend as other priorities got in the way but I did get the elevator brackets installed on the floor.

Matt

Last edited:
4x8 is bigger than some of these "tiny homes" they taunt on TV these days. I like the way you have two shooting windows in the eight wall. I am sure you thought it would not be sturdy enough for the window to cover the entire wall.

Yes, I've went back and forth on the windows for quite some time. Finally settled on two 33" wide. I did think about going with one big one but thought it would weaken the wall too much.

Matt

Next step is to find a door. I could build one but I'd like to find a used RV door or some other small exterior door and build the back of the blind around it. Homemade doors are nice and all but I'd really like this blind to be sealed up as much as possible so I don't have to fight wasps and other small critters that might otherwise find their way in due to my shoddy craftsmanship. The plan is to call a few of the local RV places and see if they have a used door. Failing that, there's always craigslist and if all else fails I will build one.

Matt

Base looks super sturdy you won't regret that.

For a door - we've found 2ft solid wood closet doors real cheap or free and cut them down (didn't need 80")

Got the back framed up today. Found a door at the local Lumberyard. It was a customer return and I got it for $15 and it came with all the hardware except for the doorknob. Thought that was a pretty good deal. Next I'll begin to work on the sides.

Managed to get one side laid out. Still need to screw it all together though.

Going to use the real tree OSB found at Home Depot to skin the outside. The general idea is for it to look like this...

Matt

Got one side complete. Need to work on the other and the rafters. Going to use T1-11 siding. Instead of working on the blind yesterday I took advantage the cooler weather we've been having lately and went down to the site where the blind is going and cleared off a bunch of brush. Also made me a path from the back side so that I can slip in and out hopefully going undetected. We used to have a tri-pod blind in the spot and was anchored down with some T-posts so that's why they are in the picture.

Matt

Forgot to take pics but got the other side complete and both sides skinned in T1-11. I think we're going to take all the pieces down to the site and put it all together then skin the front and the back, hang the door and put on the roof. Then use the font end loadet on the John Deere to lift it up and put the legs under it. Only going to put it 4' off the ground. No need to go any higher where the stand is going.

Real tree OSB board ??????? Lol what will they think of next. Not in our home depot. Good work :D

Back