windy.com

Looks like it matches our local NWS forecast pretty well. Doubt I would use it much though as with a click I can have my local weather conditions and wind direction chart by the hour through the NWS site.

There's a lot there to explore, but so far I like it.
Go into settings and change everything from metric.
Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
After a week of use, I found myself using windy more than my other weather apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm really liking Windy, but I still refer to some other weather sites. I still like weather underground/wundermap, too.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

To see the 7 day forecast, first select the spot you want, add it to favorites. Then tap on your favorite dot, hold down and it will prompt you to see forecast for this location. A bar appears at the bottom showing wind speed, direction, rain chances, etc. Indiana gun opener looks a tad wet here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can see 10 days out. I don't know how the site behaves on other devices, but here's how it works on my android...
1st, x out of the graph at the bottom that shows the temps, rain/snow, wind and wind direction. Then it shows a 10-day scale across the bottom with a play button. You can drag that scale for 10 days out. As of right now, you can see Nov 22. Another nice feature is the "weather picker". To open that, touch and hold on the screen, then hit "show weather picker". It will show the forecast for whatever criteria you are in, such as wind, temps, precipitation and a bunch of other choices. Drag the entire map until your location is where the weather picker points to. The weather picker also shows the forecast info, so you can see the forecast. As of now (for my area), the forecast for Nov 22 shows winds from 250 degrees at 6 mph, no precipitation, 23 degree temp, 98% cloud cover, and some other details as well. To change what criteria you want, touch the wind (or whatever) icon and it will allow you to choose which info you want.
Now, with that being said, remember these are weather forecasts and the accuracy for 10 days out leaves a little to be desired.
BTW, on my Mac laptop, to open the weather picker since it's not a touch screen, just click anywhere on the map then drag the picker to your location as opposed to dragging the map to the picker like you do with touch screen devices.
Once again shedder, thank you so much for sharing the windy.com site. The more I use it the more I love it!:)

I use it a lot!

It's been accurate for my locations and has saved my butt several times when wind looked like it might be right but turned out to be wrong due to hills or valleys. It generally has it right even on a small scale. I like the play function and also the function where you can click on a time to get future winds. Great stuff!

Looks pretty handy.....I tend to use weatherunderground....but this seems to do a lot of the same. One thing I like seeing s the barometric pressure......When the temp goes down and the pressure goes up.....I really like to target those days if I can.

Looks pretty handy.....I tend to use weatherunderground....but this seems to do a lot of the same. One thing I like seeing s the barometric pressure......When the temp goes down and the pressure goes up.....I really like to target those days if I can.
I like WU too. I use it almost as often as Windy.com.
But there's a few things that Windy shows that I'm not sure WU does...does WU show cloud cover predictions?
Here's another tip...
Mid day breezes (caused by thermals) are USUALLY a lot less crazy on cloudy days. Wind patterns seem to "level out" more on days when the sun isn't creating thermal flows.
I've seen some definate flow changes happen within minutes due to changes in cloud cover. Those days when the sun is out, then in, then out, over and over has an impact on mid day thermals. Knowing cloud cover predictions is another tid bit of useful info.

I like WU too. I use it almost as often as Windy.com.
But there's a few things that Windy shows that I'm not sure WU does...does WU show cloud cover predictions?
Here's another tip...
Mid day breezes (caused by thermals) are USUALLY a lot less crazy on cloudy days. Wind patterns seem to "level out" more on days when the sun isn't creating thermal flows.
I've seen some definate flow changes happen within minutes due to changes in cloud cover. Those days when the sun is out, then in, then out, over and over has an impact on mid day thermals. Knowing cloud cover predictions is another tid bit of useful info.

After J-Bird posted a screen shot of wunderground I have been looking at it. It the 10 day forecast there is a customize buttom top right, cloud cover is one of the things you can choose. WI 9 day gun starts on SaturdayWI 10-Day Forecast.jpg

On this Windy.com site, is there a way to change the map to Satellite view?
Yes. Go into your settings and down towards the bottom of the column on the left (on my computer) look for "Change background map".
You will have to zoom in to a certain level before it converts to a sat view.
Zoom in as far as possible to see the highest quality image.

Last edited:
Back