Wild strawberry???

Goldentriangle

49d49c8ec5eda711364543c766283cf5.jpg

I operated a small lawn care business as my second job. I run into the wild strawberries all the time in lawns and landscaping. Do these offer any benefit to deer or other wildlife during the summer months. I am assuming they can be somewhat invasive but they don't seem to aggressive.
Thanks
Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's actually what is known as Mock Strawberry rather than Wild Strawberry. They are two different species, although similar in ways.

They probably benefit rabbits and birds more than deer. The fruits of some wild strawberries taste fairly good to humans, but the mock strawberries are pretty bland.

The flowers of the two species are different colors, and the berries of WS tend to hang over on a longer stem, while the berries of the MS tend to stick upright.

Last edited:
Once again native you are spot on. I tried a lil nibble of one since they looked good. Reminds me of cocoa powder when I was a hound kid, looks and sounds really good but tastes terrible!
I think we need a sticky thread on here called ask Native! Tons of guys on here with loads of knowledge but man you are spot on with identifying shrubs and trees. I would like to know how many people you helped out on the old forum in "name that plant".
Thanks
Scott

Once again native you are spot on. I tried a lil nibble of one since they looked good. Reminds me of cocoa powder when I was a hound kid, looks and sounds really good but tastes terrible!
I think we need a sticky thread on here called ask Native! Tons of guys on here with loads of knowledge but man you are spot on with identifying shrubs and trees. I would like to know how many people you helped out on the old forum in "name that plant".
Thanks
Scott

Funny you should mention that I texted him a picture this weekend asking about a mulberry I found. I'm lucky enough to have him 15 min away he gives me a lot of goodies too.

Back