What would you plant with a blank slate?

Charlieyca

I have a triangle area cleared of everything but about 20 oaks tree that are not producing yet but about 10 years old. The sides of the triangle are each 200 yds long with a stand in each corner. Other than the oaks, I plan to bushhog the other small hardwoods and shrubs that fill this area.
upload_2016-11-15_17-13-59.png
My plan is to plant white clovers along each of the sides all the way around the triangle approximately 20 ft wide (the green line). Inside that I plan to periodically mow 3 or 4 strips inside that to keep it in early succession (the purple line). Teh next 40 ft or so will be a mix of shrubs and fruit trees ( eastern wahoo, persimmon, crabapple, hazelnuts, wild plum) and that is the orange line. The yellow triangle in the middle will be a mix of sawtooth, bur, chinquapin, and chestnut trees. Sanctuary is to the west, blue is a small creek.
What would you do different and why?

I dont see anything wrong with your plan. Its very ambitious and attainable. I would like to hear your goals for this triangle. Something of a tree plot for feeding deer?
Give your trees room to spread their crowns. You can do this later by thinning, but you have got to be willing to thin as soon as crowns are touching. Thats easy to say. Hard to do.

In the yellow triangle, plant the trees so the shorter trees don't get shaded out by the taller trees.

What I didn't read (read it twice to be sure) is the word - "pear". They are what I would add. They are easy to grow and if you pick wisely will drop over 2 or 3 months. Read some of Native Hunters threads and post about pear trees. With a clean slate, I think they will help you attain the goals you want.

My two cents ...

I have 8 container pear trees from lowes, Kieffer and oriental that I planted last year and 6 pineapple and flordahome I planted last week about 500 yds East of this spot. They should be dropping fruit in the next 2 years and should being the deer through the new orchard as the grow. What pears are late dropping as I believe these drop Sept and october?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back