What is it?

catscratch

6191116f14955d2faca4dbe0536b1538.jpg

Ideas? Any good for anything?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Buckeye.

Toxic to humans and livestock. American Indians crushed them up and used them to stun fish. Faster acting than a fly rod......
They also figured out a way to leach out the toxins and eat them, but I wouldn't recommend trying it. Your stomach and their stomach are two different animals.

Can they be indicative of other trees that might grow in the area? For instance, can you expect Chinese Chestnuts to grow where you find Buckeye?

Yep - Ohio buckeye. I have many of them on my place. They prefer moist soils of bottom lands, or flood plains. If you have them they can indicate those sorts of soils in that location. I find walnut, hackberry, paw-paw and boxelder with them.....which are all not of much value to deer. I am not familiar with chinese chestnuts so I can;t help you there.

I wasn't to concerned with Chestnut in particular, just used it as an example. I do find walnut and hackberry in the same spots. I'm on the search for pawpaw seed to plant, now I know of some spots to plant some.
I've read that recently Native. Interesting stuff.

Wet feet is not good for Chinese Chestnuts. Also clay soils that don't drain well are a problem. Acidic soils that suit oaks are your best bet, and if the PH is too high, you will likely have a problem. That's never been a problem for me, however, because the places I have planted them are acidic and well drained.

I did have one at the edge of a drain that died. It has come back from the roots and looks okay now, but my guess is that the feet will always be too wet at that spot.

I'm assuming squirrels love buckeye as I can never find one on the ground. Not sure deer browse them, have not seen that, and I'm assuming the eat anything bears may eat them. They tend to spread quickly so you might want to keep them cut.

Wet feet is not good for Chinese Chestnuts. Also clay soils that don't drain well are a problem. Acidic soils that suit oaks are your best bet, and if the PH is too high, you will likely have a problem. That's never been a problem for me, however, because the places I have planted them are acidic and well drained.

I did have one at the edge of a drain that died. It has come back from the roots and looks okay now, but my guess is that the feet will always be too wet at that spot.
I planted some Chinese yesterday. Hilltop, plenty of sun, soil was much more loose than a lot of our clay, pH 6.3, and within reach of my garden hose (when we ran lines for our build last yr I had them put a faucet out in the middle of nowhere). Hope they do well, the native oaks thrive in this spot.
e028838aa393b6721535ed58cd3619c7.jpg

I'm assuming squirrels love buckeye as I can never find one on the ground. Not sure deer browse them, have not seen that, and I'm assuming the eat anything bears may eat them. They tend to spread quickly so you might want to keep them cut.
There are a few around but none that I know of are larger than a big shrub (10ft maybe). Probably at the edge of there range as they don't seem to prosper.

Can't say about deer and bear, but squirrels love them. In fact, I've read that they have a special immunity to the poison. I have seen them cut buckeyes many times.

Back when I was a child I was taught a legend that I believed to be true for a long time in my life - until I found out it wasn't true. Old timers said that one side of a buckeye was poisonous and the other side not. They said that a squirrel knew which side was which.

Can't say about deer and bear, but squirrels love them. In fact, I've read that they have a special immunity to the poison. I have seen them cut buckeyes many times.

Back when I was a child I was taught a legend that I believed to be true for a long time in my life - until I found out it wasn't true. Old timers said that one side of a buckeye was poisonous and the other side not. They said that a squirrel knew which side was which.

My farmer buddy always said that you could tell how severe the up coming winter was going to be by how much black a wooly bugger wore.

He also said that the best thing to rub on sore muscles was diesel fluid.

G

My farmer buddy always said that you could tell how severe the up coming winter was going to be by how much black a wooly bugger wore.

He also said that the best thing to rub on sore muscles was diesel fluid.

G

And I've heard of people using WD-40 on their joints. Maybe we just need to get the doc to install grease fittings........

I wasn't to concerned with Chestnut in particular, just used it as an example. I do find walnut and hackberry in the same spots. I'm on the search for pawpaw seed to plant, now I know of some spots to plant some.
I've read that recently Native. Interesting stuff.

You still looking for paw-paw? I happen to know where I can get some - I have a nice little patch. If you are still looking I need to know as the coons will steal them soon. Depending on the size of the fruit I will get several seeds per fruit. I live on my property so I can get my hands on them PDQ. I made a post on my property thread of the fruit I found just over the weekend. Let me know and how many you want. I will have to let the fruit ripen a bit before I send you seeds, or I can send you the entire fruit if you prefer.

You still looking for paw-paw? I happen to know where I can get some - I have a nice little patch. If you are still looking I need to know as the coons will steal them soon. Depending on the size of the fruit I will get several seeds per fruit. I live on my property so I can get my hands on them PDQ. I made a post on my property thread of the fruit I found just over the weekend. Let me know and how many you want. I will have to let the fruit ripen a bit before I send you seeds, or I can send you the entire fruit if you prefer.
I would love some seeds (and/or fruit)! I've been promised some seeds, but I would love some genetic variety. Plus I've read that PawPaw has a pretty low germination rate. I want to direct seed some and pot some... trying lots of locations too. The more seeds the better! I saw your pics. They look neat but I've never tasted one...
PM sent soon...

j-bird,
Try to start a conversation with me. I just tried to send you a message and the computer told me that "I can't start a conversation with this member"...

I would love some seeds (and/or fruit)! I've been promised some seeds, but I would love some genetic variety. Plus I've read that PawPaw has a pretty low germination rate. I want to direct seed some and pot some... trying lots of locations too. The more seeds the better! I saw your pics. They look neat but I've never tasted one...
PM sent soon...
I have tasted one......lets just say there is a BIG difference between a good ripe on and a not so ripe one!!!!! I will send a message.

Back