Volume Feeder Options

lakngolf

This is Alabama's 2nd year of legal hunting over bait. I think it is here to stay because it is a revenue source for Conservation Dept. So, I need a better option than running the ATV into the woods a couple days before hunt and spreading a bag of corn. Would like to hear opinions on various volume feeder options, especially ones that have controlled distribution.

Thanks in advance!

We use a Moultrie feeder at my lease. It has a good capacity, a timer for up to 6x a day, the capability for a solar charger, a place to attach a trail cam, good pattern and distance. The only complaint we have is, raccoons can wreck it pretty quick. We are going to buy the gravity feeder replacement head. That should keep the coons from breaking it. They can just reach their hands in and grab the pellets instead of the system being closed and them tearing it up trying to get the pellets out.

https://www.moultriefeeders.com/deer-feeder-pro-ii-tripod

https://www.moultriefeeders.com/gravity-feeder-kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a Lamco Low n Throw. I can fill it from the ground and it holds 600 lb. of corn. The very best part is that it’s coon and hog proof. I pen my feeders to keep hogs away, (they won’t hang around if they can’t eat corn), but coons will freeload and tear up feeders. These are 100% coon proof. Coons will still eat some corn but they can’t pull it out or get to the wiring for the solar panel. They also come in 350 lb. size and TSC sells those here. Fairly spendy, but well made and will last a long time. Before I bought these, I used the barrel feeders with Texas Hunter Products motor and timer. I made those myself and just bought the timer. In Texas you have to stake your legs down on these barrel feeders though or the big hogs will get behind a leg and bend them enough to tip thefeeder over. We staked them with T posts and that’s dangerous if you’re up on a ladder or pickup bed pouring in corn and happen to fall. I’ve gotten too old for that anyway, that’s why I bought the stand and fill feeders. I’ve had them three years and no problems yet. You don’t have to buy Lamco, lots of folks make them.

5D8B6D72-C605-4513-868A-1A344C52056C.jpeg

BAE99E61-7657-413D-A0F7-3CEE781BF850.jpeg

Lake, there’s another option you might want to consider. I also have two directional feeders, they’re called One and Done. They’re self contained, battery and timer in the bottom, and they are also 100% coon proof. They’re made of pretty heavy gauge steel, have a bracket on the back for hanging on a tree, or you can set them on the ground. I’m using one at present for a fish feeder, but the other is in the woods on a tree. You can strap the bracket to a tree with a ratchet strap, (I use a small chain and small boomer), and there’s a loop on the feeder for another strap on the bottom. One thing I did not like, there’s a plate that is removeable that sits over the timer and motor. It doesn’t fit tightly enough to keep corn dust out of the timer/motor/battery compartment. I just caulked it in and the problem was reduced by 90%. Easy to cut that caulk if I ever need to. I’m real happy with those two feeders and I think they are less obtrusive to mature bucks than other types. They fan the corn out about 30 feet in whatever direction you point them. You have to swap batteries from time to time, but I have two solar panels I’m going to put on mine.

This is Alabama's 2nd year of legal hunting over bait. I think it is here to stay because it is a revenue source for Conservation Dept. So, I need a better option than running the ATV into the woods a couple days before hunt and spreading a bag of corn. Would like to hear opinions on various volume feeder options, especially ones that have controlled distribution.

Thanks in advance!
If I am timed feeding I like the Moultrie feeders...I have a lot of raccoons and none have actually torn a feeder motor up on any of mine. I sometimes have up to 20 raccoons at a time around mine. For big deer to come to it I like an on demand feeder like the Banks Feed Bank 4 port feeder. I put that one down in the woods because big deer are pretty shy...

4a0f2583228799d7c6c27e32a9c40b1a.jpg

005e08833a78881bfa29637a82f4a50a.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve got 5 of the Moultrie 200 lb feeders with the programmable timers and I love them. 3 use 4 AA batteries and 2 use the larger 6 volts. Battery life is fantastic in both types. The AA versions aren’t as strong so they can get up hung up if the corn you use isn’t pretty clean but I prefer the distance they throw. The 6 volt is less prone to getting hung up but scatters the corn a little more widely than I like sometimes. I’ve had them 8 or 9 years and they have held up great. Have to replace the slinger every 3-5 years but I use them most of the year.

As for the issues with coons, use Vaseline on your feeder legs and you will NEVER have a coon causing any problems other than waiting below for the corn to throw.

As for the issues with coons, use Vaseline on your feeder legs and you will NEVER have a coon causing any problems other than waiting below for the corn to throw.

They keep bending our plate that sling the pellets, ripped the solar panel off, and broke the door for the battery and programmer. We finally took the battery out and it’s just sitting there currently.

Use Vaseline and all you’ll see are pics of the coons sitting on the ground confused as they stare at the bottom of your feeder. It was hysterical. You only have to use it on the bottom 2-3 ft. It’s unclimbable at that point.

Lake,
Moultrie was having some great sales on their feeders for Black Friday and Cyber Monday, so you might want to check them out. I use the Pro Hunter spin feeder and have no issues with it---they make them with varmint zappers to keep the coons off. My tripold with solar charger hold 5 bags of corn (250#). I have bears on one of my properties so I have to elevate my feeders and wrap the pole/tree with tin. Keeps away squirrels and coons too. I used pool chemical buckets with a Moultrie Pro Hunter on the bottom. Holds about 100# of corn.

Good luck!
Feeder pole TCell.JPG Feeder tree, NN 2018 (1).JPG IMG_3860.JPG

I bought two of the Mossy Oak Gamekeeper 200lb feeders four years ago. I mainly bought it because you can fill it at chest height and do not have to climb a ladder to refill it. My dad is responsible for refilling it and I didn't want him climbing up and down a ladder in the woods by himself. It is all metal and squirrels and coons have not been able to mess anything up yet. We have tons of photos of coons climbing all over it, but they have never been able to get inside it or destroy anything. The only minor problems we have had were weevils got in a bag of corn and clogged the dispenser and the sides are not steep enough to force every single kernel of corn to the lowest point in the feeder so you will still have some corn left in the bottom. If you are not in a hurry, Walmart will knock the price down in February when they try to clear them out.

I really appreciate all the good info. I was thinking Moultrie but, although pricey, I am leaning toward a couple of the 350lb Low and Throw. I like the concept, the enclosed battery and solar, low to ground for access, can easily lock chain around leg and tree. I am also getting a fish feeder for my pier. I have wanted a fish feeder for some time. Spending some money but somebody's got to keep this economy going. ;)

If you are getting a fish feeder make sure you get a Texas Hunter. Don’t waste your money on any of the cheaper crap (ask me how I know).

Lake,
Moultrie was having some great sales on their feeders for Black Friday and Cyber Monday, so you might want to check them out. I use the Pro Hunter spin feeder and have no issues with it---they make them with varmint zappers to keep the coons off. My tripold with solar charger hold 5 bags of corn (250#). I have bears on one of my properties so I have to elevate my feeders and wrap the pole/tree with tin. Keeps away squirrels and coons too. I used pool chemical buckets with a Moultrie Pro Hunter on the bottom. Holds about 100# of corn.

Good luck!
View attachment 20717 View attachment 20718 View attachment 20719

I’m gonna have to do something like this.......bears.

Back