Turkey season tagged out

Gator

Had a great week of turkey hunting even with less than ideal weather. Saturday to Saturday in 4 hunts I managed to get my three long beards

64e7f31bad50ba9af954b5668ea95d4d.jpg

66070c46f4dbadde636ad3fdcc27e7c0.jpg

54b594c6108a83d5a2dfde75d4b26eed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations Gator! You must be loaded with birds to get it done in only 4 hunts!

Congrats on the birds Gator, this is the first year in a while that I’ve had to sit out. I love turkey hunting, and eating them ain’t bad either !

Thanks guys. Its weird but none of the hunts were even good hunts. Only one of the birds gobbled and it was only once. All young birds too. I had done my homework and knew where they all were. First one was the only one to talk and he was with a hen out in a field and I was able to call the hen over. He locked up in some thick stuff at about 35 yards for ten minutes before he finally came in to decoys. Second bird I actually stood up to leave and him and two others were sneaking in on me just over the rise in the field and I was able to take him. Third I literally saw from truck and just snuck in on him. First attempt I jumped some deer that spooked him and I made another big circle around him and was able to close the distance.

Thanks guys. Its weird but none of the hunts were even good hunts. Only one of the birds gobbled and it was only once. All young birds too. I had done my homework and knew where they all were. First one was the only one to talk and he was with a hen out in a field and I was able to call the hen over. He locked up in some thick stuff at about 35 yards for ten minutes before he finally came in to decoys. Second bird I actually stood up to leave and him and two others were sneaking in on me just over the rise in the field and I was able to take him. Third I literally saw from truck and just snuck in on him. First attempt I jumped some deer that spooked him and I made another big circle around him and was able to close the distance.

That’s what you call adapting to the circumstances Gator. I’d still call those good hunts. I remember taking a gobbler with my bow from a short tripod once with several others around me. Not a great feat with deer, but turkeys are sharp eyed critters. Took me 8 or 10 minutes to catch the others not looking before I could draw on him. He saw me draw but hesitated just a couple more seconds than he should have and wound up in my freezer. Two year old bird, but still a “pins and needles“ hunt !

Good story. The best gobbling of the season may be winding down already. By May 1st when PA opens gobbling is generally a lot more sporadic.

That’s what you call adapting to the circumstances Gator. I’d still call those good hunts. I remember taking a gobbler with my bow from a short tripod once with several others around me. Not a great feat with deer, but turkeys are sharp eyed critters. Took me 8 or 10 minutes to catch the others not looking before I could draw on him. He saw me draw but hesitated just a couple more seconds than he should have and wound up in my freezer. Two year old bird, but still a “pins and needles“ hunt !

Taking a bird with a bow is hard to do quadruple hard with other birds around. I’ve taken one with bow and on camera but it was from a blind which makes it 1000 times easier

Back