Spring planting barley and WR

jlane35

If I remember correctly some of you have had success timing your broadcasting of winter rye and barley in the fall into an existing clover plot. I understand if you are successful it gives some winter forage. But would frost seeding in the Spring, into a dormant clover field, work? Or does the seed need to be planted in the Fall to come back in the Spring? If it could be planted in the Spring I would think the seed has a much higher chance of growing since it has less forage and thatch in the way.

Maybe some of you already do this and I just missed it.

Can't answer for barley. But I've overseeded rye in late Feb to late march with good success. But typically I do so in the fall as it will grow, go dormant slightly then burst forth in March, or earlier with a mild winter. Rye grows on the side of a tree so it cares not when you choose to plant. Ill leave barley to others to comment.

If I remember correctly some of you have had success timing your broadcasting of winter rye and barley in the fall into an existing clover plot. I understand if you are successful it gives some winter forage. But would frost seeding in the Spring, into a dormant clover field, work? Or does the seed need to be planted in the Fall to come back in the Spring? If it could be planted in the Spring I would think the seed has a much higher chance of growing since it has less forage and thatch in the way.

Maybe some of you already do this and I just missed it.
Barley, go for it. Last year I broadcasted mine onto frozen ground established clover and walked away. Worked great. I'd do at least 2 bushels/ac if going that route. I spread some yesterday into 3" of snow just to see if it would go. This is all bucket and hand toss, nothing else. Soon as the snow melts, mine will be right into germinating temps. Spring came on quickly.

I'm going back next weekend to spread my low spots.

Whatever you can do to help the seed to soil contact, will help. Dad overseeded green cover's cool season soil builder at camp today, and he ran it over with the cultipacker too. This guy showed up 5 minutes later.

Attachments

• IMG_20210314_211156.jpg
    IMG_20210314_211156.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 0
I plan to do a throw and mow with rye and barley into established clover in a few more weeks. I sprayed clethodim and gly 2 weeks ago. Will the growing clover allow the barley and rye to get established, or will I be just wasting my time?

I plan to do a throw and mow with rye and barley into established clover in a few more weeks. I sprayed clethodim and gly 2 weeks ago. Will the growing clover allow the barley and rye to get established, or will I be just wasting my time?
Does your clover look like it was in a fight? I really don't know how that'd turn out. I'm not sure what conditions are needed for the residual on cleth to go away either. Do report back, I'd be curious to see how it goes. Barley and rye are cheap, I'd risk it on the chance it might work.

Does your clover look like it was in a fight? I really don't know how that'd turn out. I'm not sure what conditions are needed for the residual on cleth to go away either. Do report back, I'd be curious to see how it goes. Barley and rye are cheap, I'd risk it on the chance it might work.
From what I've read, I need to wait at least 30 days for the clethodim residual to go away. I haven't seen the plot yet, I need to run by and take a look, I might do that today and grab a photo for you. I only applied 16 oz to the acre of gly to keep the clover going strong.

I went by and grabbed those pictures on the way home. It was raining pretty good, so I just took the pics from the car. The spray doesn’t seem to have hurt the clover at all. The cereals are browning down fast, the fescue is going to take a couple more weeks I’d imagine, if it kills it at all. Clethodim seems to take its sweet time killing grass; but I can’t plant anything for a while yet anyway.
Image1618014093.811977.jpg

Image1618014351.751307.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Last edited:
Oh wow. You might have a hard time getting cereals up through that if it gets much thicker. Good problems.

Oh wow. You might have a hard time getting cereals up through that if it gets much thicker. Good problems.
I might be a day late and dollar short on the older side of the plot; the fescue has gotten pretty bad. Too bad Cat didn’t introduce me to this site about a year or two earlier. :D

One of the things I am going to change this year is go with a 50/50 mix of Oats and cereal rye instead of just rye in the fall. In years past my rye gets about an inch tall before winter. Probably isn't a bale of hay worth in 4 acres. After speaking with the extension grazing guy he told me alot of stockmen do this. Even after the oats die from frost and look like shit they are still palatable. It's a simple way to get more tonage.

Back