Soybeans and cowpeas

I planted brassicas this year and they grew very well, however the deer won’t touch them lol. The ground is frozen and a cpl inches of snow here now and when the odd deer comes to the plot it just picks at the clover around the edge.
So, I am thinking of trying soybeans, cowpeas and oats next summer. I’ve always had decent luck with clover but I would like to get to annual plantings if possible and I hear good things about soybeans. I might even do half the plot in clover and the other half soybean mix.
Just looking for any advice on if it’s a good idea or a bad one lol. There is no agricultural ground within 20 miles of my plot so if I can plant something they really like it should draw a few deer.
Another question I have is when should I plant soybeans here? I’m in Nova Scotia. I would like to have pods for them to eat once the snow comes
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

You need to google a planting map and figure out which growing zone you are in, Nova Scotia has at least 4 zones, from 6b thru 5a. If you are in 6b you can plant in early May, 5a would be late May.
Just a note of caution on planting soybeans, you will need at least 3 acres or the deer will wipe them out faster than they can get out of the ground, and seed them at about twice the normal planting rate for farmers. I'd advise seeding a forage soybean, there's several threads on here about forage beans. Forage beans are designed to have longer growing seasons before they mature, this trait allow the beans to outgrow heavy deer browsing if they can get past the initial growth stage without being annihilated. Maturity group 6 and 7 forage beans do way better for deer than the group 3 ag beans that the farmers typically plant. Forage beans will still give pods for deer to eat in the winter, they are usually smaller pods, but more of them than ag beans.

https://empressofdirt.net/canadian-plant-hardiness-zones/
https://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-nova-scotia-plant-zone-hardiness-map.php

i have okay area for ag....couple big fields nearby and then on my property is a 30 acre alfalfa field and this year i grew soybeans on 3 acre plot nearby and i'll tell you what they sure do bring the deer in but just out there this past weekend and i would say i'm 90% picked over already... If i had to guess you are going to struggle to get a crop into much of deer season without much for ag around (deer density dependent as well).

I will say i've done beans before this year and had them completely demolished before season ever came to light (co-op ag beans, eagle, some other brands), this year i tried Real World Soybeans (expensive) and they grew great, but part of me thinks my success was every 2 weeks from my planting date of 6/1 until about mid-late july i would spread milorganite around the edge of the plot to help get those beans into the "R" stages of growth, some research out there that it helps w/ browse pressure and its technically a fertilizer, won't say it will keep them off completely, but i do think it did deter heavy browse.

Agree on Group 6,7 beans. The forage beans are a more$$$ investment than Regular Soybeans. But any beans are a lead pipe sinch to draw deer. Around here deer hit the beans first and cow peas after beans are gone. Just about every soybean is Gly tolerant although I've never had to spray . The DER, GHR,PTT mix sometimes takes a while for deer to accept. As long as other food is available it seems to be a last choice. If you have enough acres, you can't go wrong with winter rye. It does not require the nitrogen that wheat does. Cow peas are fast growing and require little and are good soil builders..

Thinking at some point I could get up to about 8 acres of beans going. It may be enough. So neighbor had 80 acres this year. Next year something else. All summer the deer pounded that plot. Then in Oct they picked them. Looks like a pool table. Game over I thought. Was just out there. 25 deer were on it at last light eating beans that got dropped on ground while harvested. It was an eye opener.

What the answer is I don't know. But may take a run at those in next few years.

Thinking at some point I could get up to about 8 acres of beans going. It may be enough. So neighbor had 80 acres this year. Next year something else. All summer the deer pounded that plot. Then in Oct they picked them. Looks like a pool table. Game over I thought. Was just out there. 25 deer were on it at last light eating beans that got dropped on ground while harvested. It was an eye opener.

What the answer is I don't know. But may take a run at those in next few years.
Ha i miss the good ole days when the combine would come through and looked like someone took the corn spreader and drove up and down the field....now them dang things are too efficient lucky if you find one soybean/shell of corn anywhere

Yep, used to see a lot of corn like that. Never paid attention to beans but maybe they shatter easy if they pick them late or something? Regardless, deer were loving them there.

Agree on Group 6,7 beans. The forage beans are a more$$$ investment than Regular Soybeans. But any beans are a lead pipe sinch to draw deer. Around here deer hit the beans first and cow peas after beans are gone. Just about every soybean is Gly tolerant although I've never had to spray . The DER, GHR,PTT mix sometimes takes a while for deer to accept. As long as other food is available it seems to be a last choice. If you have enough acres, you can't go wrong with winter rye. It does not require the nitrogen that wheat does. Cow peas are fast growing and require little and are good soil builders..
That's great advice; you can't go wrong with winter rye. And you don't need a lot of acres to feed the deer during the winter with winter rye, a half acre to an acre is worthwhile.
i have okay area for ag....couple big fields nearby and then on my property is a 30 acre alfalfa field and this year i grew soybeans on 3 acre plot nearby and i'll tell you what they sure do bring the deer in but just out there this past weekend and i would say i'm 90% picked over already... If i had to guess you are going to struggle to get a crop into much of deer season without much for ag around (deer density dependent as well).

I will say i've done beans before this year and had them completely demolished before season ever came to light (co-op ag beans, eagle, some other brands), this year i tried Real World Soybeans (expensive) and they grew great, but part of me thinks my success was every 2 weeks from my planting date of 6/1 until about mid-late july i would spread milorganite around the edge of the plot to help get those beans into the "R" stages of growth, some research out there that it helps w/ browse pressure and its technically a fertilizer, won't say it will keep them off completely, but i do think it did deter heavy browse.
Yes, you are right, even if someone gets their soybeans past the first growth stage and get them to maturity, with small acreage there will not be enough of bean pods to last past Christmas.

Thank you all for your replies and insight.
I will contact my the co op seed store and see what the options are for forage beans. My plot is about an acre and a half but our deer numbers are very low. There are 3 deer that visit the plot now occasionally and call the area home, then I have a couple of bucks that come through during the rut but they don’t usually eat very much.
I’m hopeful that the 1.5 acres will be enough to see how they respond to the beans and if it goes well and they draw and hold deer better then the clover did In the past I will open up another 2 acres the following summer and get enough beans and peas in the ground to really do something for the small herd.
Do I just ask for a group 6-7 forage soybean or is there a certain name/brand I should be looking for?

Farm equipment can be extremely efficient or not depending on maintenance or who is running it. There is not much doubt the rate of travel affects how much spillage occurs. On the other hand the balance of fuel consumption/ machine hours vs spillage is a factor. Plus the the market price factors in there. It's way more complicated than one would imagine.

Thank you all for your replies and insight.
I will contact my the co op seed store and see what the options are for forage beans. My plot is about an acre and a half but our deer numbers are very low. There are 3 deer that visit the plot now occasionally and call the area home, then I have a couple of bucks that come through during the rut but they don’t usually eat very much.
I’m hopeful that the 1.5 acres will be enough to see how they respond to the beans and if it goes well and they draw and hold deer better then the clover did In the past I will open up another 2 acres the following summer and get enough beans and peas in the ground to really do something for the small herd.
Do I just ask for a group 6-7 forage soybean or is there a certain name/brand I should be looking for?

You would ask for forage soybeans. Eagle, Derry, Titan, Laredo, Quail Haven, Big Fellow, Tyrone, Large Lad etc. are popular brands, everyone has their own favorite.
Another question to ask, is the seed roundup ready (RR)? You need to plan how you will control weeds before you buy the seed. Soybeans are like corn in the respect that they don't compete well with weeds, herbicide is a must for growing beans, unless you like weeding by hand.
I predict that you will definitely attract more deer once the beans sprout.

Back