Smart Pots

KSQ2

It seems our allegheny chinquapins are struggling some this year. We ordered 1 year old seedlings from Wildlife Group, and while our dco's have done great from there; it seems the allegheny seedlings aren't quite as hardy. I'm thinking about giving them another shot next year with rootmaker smart pots. They are quite a bit cheaper than the conventional rootmaker pots. Do any of you have any experience with them? I have quite a few 1 gallon rootmaker pots, but I thought maybe a bigger pot might allow for a bigger root ball. I do only plan on keeping them in the pots one year and then planting.

I have experimented with the rootmaker 18s, pint(beer can), 1 and 2 gallons. I think th3 system works best when you pot them up a size when they are ready. Nativ and other nurseries have them on a cracked out watering and feeding schedule. That's how they get so big.

What I'm trying to say is I don't think a bigger pot will help. The roots are pruned from outside in. If you start with a huge pot the roots will grow to the bottom instead of all directions.

A positive is you don't have to water as much with the bigger ones. Are you using a soil free mix? I have to water my beer can size daily.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

KSQ, I've done a lot of experimenting with root pruning containers. I have students research the phenomenon, design and build their own pots, grow Sawtooths (very easy to grow tap rooted tree), then record their results based on tree growth post nut removal and root branching. It's a system and function of increasing pot size... get the roots to prune and branch, then enlarge the pot size and do it again. I've found that almost anything will work as long as roots can't circle. If fact, one of the best materials we found to cause branching are those brown cardboard pots that you can get at any box store garden center. Fabric pots often work really well too. One thing to consider is how fast will the pot and material it's made from allow drying out. Watering 2 to 3 times a day can become tiresome.

So quick answer, yes they should work and you have a good idea.

I have A. Chinquapins planted. Most died, the one's still alive have barely grown in several years of care. My neighbor 30 minutes to the west planted his at the same time. He's already getting nut production. He is on a river system and has sandy soil. You might chase that rabbit hole and look at the medium you are planting them in...

Sorry for the long post!

KSQ, I've done a lot of experimenting with root pruning containers. I have students research the phenomenon, design and build their own pots, grow Sawtooths (very easy to grow tap rooted tree), then record their results based on tree growth post nut removal and root branching. It's a system and function of increasing pot size... get the roots to prune and branch, then enlarge the pot size and do it again. I've found that almost anything will work as long as roots can't circle. If fact, one of the best materials we found to cause branching are those brown cardboard pots that you can get at any box store garden center. Fabric pots often work really well too. One thing to consider is how fast will the pot and material it's made from allow drying out. Watering 2 to 3 times a day can become tiresome.

So quick answer, yes they should work and you have a good idea.

I have A. Chinquapins planted. Most died, the one's still alive have barely grown in several years of care. My neighbor 30 minutes to the west planted his at the same time. He's already getting nut production. He is on a river system and has sandy soil. You might chase that rabbit hole and look at the medium you are planting them in...

Sorry for the long post!
Yeah, we have a nothing like sandy soil. You can find it across the road less than a mile away on the blackjack ridges; but we're in bottom ground. It might be a lost cause.

Only thing I can add to the conversation is no matter how temped you may be to leave it on because it says the pots “biodegradable “ please cut that fabric pot off the tree before planting.

Don’t cut slits in it, don’t peel it down from the side and leave it attached on the bottom cut that sucker off and release the root or in a few years when your tree is struggling and you can’t figure out what the deal is you’ll look back and wonder should you have cut the pot off? Could that have been the problem?

Then when you finally give up on your poor pitiful tree and yank it out of the ground only to find said pot that was supposed to be a “12 month” pot is more like a 32443 month pot because it shows no sign of deteriorating and it’s been 4 years later. Whew there I think I got all that out... you follow me? Lol. Cheap Chinese made junk pots is what I call them. There’s nothing smart about them.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only thing I can add to the conversation is no matter how temped you may be to leave it on because it says the pots “biodegradable “ please cut that fabric pot off the tree before planting.

Don’t cut slits in it, don’t peel it down from the side and leave it attached on the bottom cut that sucker off and release the root or in a few years when your tree is struggling and you can’t figure out what the deal is you’ll look back and wonder should you have cut the pot off? Could that have been the problem?

Then when you finally give up on your poor pitiful tree and yank it out of the ground only to find said pot that was supposed to be a “12 month” pot is more like a 32443 month pot because it shows no sign of deteriorating and it’s been 4 years later. Whew there I think I got all that out... you follow me? Lol. Cheap Chinese made junk pots is what I call them. There’s nothing smart about them.

Matt

Are you kidding? I would never put them in the ground! I'd reuse them; I'm as cheap as they come, let me tell you.:D That being said, I'll prolly just stick with my tried and trusty rootsaver pots.

Trust me you’ll consider and do strange things when you grow 300+ trees a year and are running out of time for getting them in the ground.

Back