Ruger 10/22

Drycreek

I guess I’m the last gun owner that didn’t have a 10/22 so I bought one. Actually I did have one years ago, but it had a beautiful laminated stock, a bull barrel with spiral fluting, and a blue job like the deep blue sea. It was just too good looking to throw in the buggy and ride around the place with me. I have an old Remington Nylon 77 that I used for that, but it’s probably worth more now than a new 10/22. I bought the cheapest one they make, plastic stock, no sights, but comes with a rail on top. I put a cheap TruGlo 1x4 scope on it and an upgraded trigger group this morning and halfassed sighted it in. I’ll put it on paper later this week and get it dialed in. It’s minute of hog right now just in case. 😁 It only required a couple turns in elevation and a couple more to the right to get it pretty close. So how many of you guys have a Ruger 10/22 ?

I have one. My dad bought it for me Christmas 1999. It’s my favorite gun. I’ve had many successful hunts & memories with it. My 9 year old boy loves shooting it too. I have an inexpensive Simmons scope on it. Works just fine for it.

I've got the fancy one too. Wood laminate, stainless bull barrel. I'm about 90% certain I'm buying another one tomorrow. This time I'm getting the charger in the 10/22 platform. I'm gonna try it with my rifle suppressor. I'm afraid it might get either too heavy, or require taller optics to see over it. If that's the case, I'll have to get a .22 suppressor.

1719203276491.png

First gun that I bought, not sure what my hourly rate was but seems like it took a long time to make $180 on the farm. Says something that I remember what it cost. And I still have it. I built another one from parts a few years back. Should be standard issue starter gun for all Americans!

Count me in, and throw in a Remington Nylon 66.
I have a nice Mohawk Brown Nylon 66 Native, gave $250 for it a few years ago at a gun show. They were just beginning to appreciate in price at that time. Probably could sell it for $600 on Gunbroker today as they start at about that price. I haven’t ever even loaded it, much less shot it. They are great .22s !

I have a nice Mohawk Brown Nylon 66 Native, gave $250 for it a few years ago at a gun show. They were just beginning to appreciate in price at that time. Probably could sell it for $600 on Gunbroker today as they start at about that price. I haven’t ever even loaded it, much less shot it. They are great .22s !
I didn't realize they were that high now. Mine is from my youth when my dad gave it to me. He also bought my son one at a gun show a few years ago.

I have two. One is wood with stainless, and the other is wood with blued. They're accurate, fun shooters. I have a banana clip on one that I got when I was a kid. I shot the heck out of that rifle when I was a kid. I still shoot with it a lot.

I guess I’m the last gun owner that didn’t have a 10/22 so I bought one. Actually I did have one years ago, but it had a beautiful laminated stock, a bull barrel with spiral fluting, and a blue job like the deep blue sea. It was just too good looking to throw in the buggy and ride around the place with me. I have an old Remington Nylon 77 that I used for that, but it’s probably worth more now than a new 10/22. I bought the cheapest one they make, plastic stock, no sights, but comes with a rail on top. I put a cheap TruGlo 1x4 scope on it and an upgraded trigger group this morning and halfassed sighted it in. I’ll put it on paper later this week and get it dialed in. It’s minute of hog right now just in case. 😁 It only required a couple turns in elevation and a couple more to the right to get it pretty close. So how many of you guys have a Ruger 10/22 ?
I resisted the urge for 10/22 because of the trigger. I bought a 77/22 and sent it off to Timney. I have no idea what trigger work would cost today,but I would not have a 10/22 with out a trigger job.

I resisted the urge for 10/22 because of the trigger. I bought a 77/22 and sent it off to Timney. I have no idea what trigger work would cost today,but I would not have a 10/22 with out a trigger job.
Plenty of aftermarket triggers available now. Two pins to swap out. I put ruger's upgraded trigger in my second one. Decent but I am sure a timney or one of the others might be better. Some cost about the same as the rifle! My old one from the early 90's has a pretty decent trigger.

I bought the upgraded trigger when I bought the gun. It pains me to have to spend money on trigger work when it’s so easy to do that at the factory. But alas, Bill Ruger Senior is gone, and so is Junior. Those old single actions used to come with good triggers, as did the rest of their products. I belong to a Single Action Forum, as well as the Ruger Forum, and you see lots of complaints on fit and finish nowadays. My single actions have all been to Mr. Alan Harton in Houston for trigger work. He’s a renowned revolver ‘smith.

If I need precision accuracy, my .22 mag Henry lever action can handle it. It’s a lazer beam ! The 10/22 is my designated buggy gun, minute of hog or coyote, probably a few snakes in the pond. (Although I think the fish eat them when they are little, because I haven’t seen a snake in a couple years)

Plenty of aftermarket triggers available now. Two pins to swap out. I put ruger's upgraded trigger in my second one. Decent but I am sure a timney or one of the others might be better. Some cost about the same as the rifle! My old one from the early 90's has a pretty decent trigger.
Exactly. At the time I bought the 77/22, Timney did the trigger for $60. $150 for the 10/22. I see trigger kits available like you said. Pretty pricey at that. You could sink $400 in a 10/22 to make it acceptable. I just don't understand how Bill Ruger let such a horrible trigger go out on an almost perfect .22. I believe many people that buy a 10/22 just don't know how bad the trigger is until they shoot something with a crisp 2# trigger.

What year did they move to the bad triggers? Mine shoot extremely accurate at long range with the factory trigger. I know they also have different variations of them. Maybe different variations used different triggers?

What year did they move to the bad triggers? Mine shoot extremely accurate at long range with the factory trigger. I know they also have different variations of them. Maybe different variations used different triggers?
I have no idea when or if the trigger was improved. I can say I have never shot a 10/22 with a stock trigger that was crisp, no creep, 2 pound , breaks like a glass rod. I would not say it is impossible to shoot accurately with a stock trigger. I would say it is way easier to shoot well with tuned trigger. So if you are happy with the stock trigger,good for you. However, if you spend any time with a properly tuned weapon,you may cast a jaundiced eye at any non tuned trigger.

Where is the pictures?

MM, I have no pictures of my gun, but you can see it on Bud’s Guns. It’s the cheapest one that Ruger sells. Plastic stock, no sights, rail on top.

Back