Roller crimping

Baker

Started the spring roller crimping of elbon rye in preparation for planting summer crops. Built a jig for FEL to explore planting and crimping at same time. Experimenting this morning with it to see how it works .

Will continue posting here with results and thoughts.

IMG_4605.JPG

What, and how are you going to plant. Are you planting directly into the crimped rye?
Yes, I am planting directly into the crimped rye with a no till drill. I have 2 different planting schemes for this spring. Some of the fields will be planted in straight soybeans. The others in a combo of: sunn hemp, cow peas, soy beans, sunflower and buckwheat.

The straight soybean fields are planted so I can come in later with herbicide and try to clean them up a bit if necessary. The combo fields are designed for soil building and will get no herbicide. Also the combo mixes are going in fields that were straight soybeans last year for a rotation.

That thing works well. I've driven a bucket real low to knock down cereal grains but never used a crimper, I like it.

Do you think you’ll be able to plant against the direction the rye is laying down, or will you have to plant in the same direction?

Do you think you’ll be able to plant against the direction the rye is laying down, or will you have to plant in the same direction?
I think we will need to plant with the grain. The thatch is fairly thick.

I find the parallel between this style of farming and the 'back to eden' style of gardening I do fascinating. Love the results.

I bet this would work great with putting your seed down before crimping. Like throw n mow where the seed is broadcast and then a layer of thatch put down over it. I only say this because I don't have a no-till drill and the crimper seems like a good option.

Yes, I am planting directly into the crimped rye with a no till drill. I have 2 different planting schemes for this spring. Some of the fields will be planted in straight soybeans. The others in a combo of: sunn hemp, cow peas, soy beans, sunflower and buckwheat.

The straight soybean fields are planted so I can come in later with herbicide and try to clean them up a bit if necessary. The combo fields are designed for soil building and will get no herbicide. Also the combo mixes are going in fields that were straight soybeans last year for a rotation.
What's your mix ratio on the combo, and if you've planted it before how were the results? Thinking of a combo mix on a couple small plots this year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Biggest thing Ive heard with crimping so far ahead of planting is if you do get rain, it wont ever dry out underneath. Hopefully it works out for you.

I think we will need to plant with the grain. The thatch is fairly thick.

I find the parallel between this style of farming and the 'back to eden' style of gardening I do fascinating. Love the results.
Thanks for the updates. I too am staring this style to help build up my soil. Glad to see others allready doing it. I&J are back ordered till July.apparently there is something to this no-spray approach...

What's your mix ratio on the combo, and if you've planted it before how were the results? Thinking of a combo mix on a couple small plots this year.

Here's the mix ratio:
Sunn Hemp--9lbs acre
buckwheat--4.1 lbs acre
cowpeas--20 lbs acre
soybeans--8.3 lbs acre
sunflower--1 1/2 lbs acre

I think I tweaked this ratio a bit from this formula but its close.I haven't used this exact mix but close in years past and was very pleased with it. Creates quite a jungle. I'm still refining my mixes and this will be the first time I crimp this formula in the fall. Nonetheless I think its going to work well. I'll post pics as it gets going. Hope to plant later next week.

Here's the mix ratio:
Sunn Hemp--9lbs acre
buckwheat--4.1 lbs acre
cowpeas--20 lbs acre
soybeans--8.3 lbs acre

I think I tweaked this ratio a bit from this formula but its close.I haven't used this exact mix but close in years past and was very pleased with it. Creates quite a jungle. I'm still refining my mixes and this will be the first time I crimp this formula in the fall. Nonetheless I think its going to work well. I'll post pics as it gets going. Hope to plant later next week.

Are you running a Great Plains? I'd love to know the settings!

Here's the mix ratio:
Sunn Hemp--9lbs acre
buckwheat--4.1 lbs acre
cowpeas--20 lbs acre
soybeans--8.3 lbs acre

Thanks, I think I'll try something similar.

Interesting Rusty. I've seen the videos where Dr. Woods does this and it seems to work well for him. I'm probably never gonna own a drill, much less a crimper, but it's always interesting to see methods other than my own.

Back