PlotSpike Forage Oats at my Tractor Supply for 7.99 for 50 pounds

John D

My tractor supply in Northeast Ohio has these for 7.99 a bag for 50 pounds. This seems like a good price. I wanted to plants oats this spring here with my Ladino clover to give it some quick cover. The description says it's for southern climates and should be planted in August in September. Is this something I could plant in the spring in Ohio? I'm buying some oats at my local ag supplier also but these are cheaper. I figured I'd use up what the store has in stock.

Oats are oats, and will grow just fine in the spring,, so get the cheapest seeds that you can find. Forage oats are bred for leafy foliage, whereas regular oats are bred for grain, but it's the same plant. Farmers always think of planting oats in early spring, but food plot guys often think of planting in late summer for fall hunting. Oats are very versatile and forgiving as far as growing them.

Great price. Load up!
You can't buy dirty feed oats at Tractor Supply for that price, at least not at mine.

I'm a big fan of forage oats. There's about a ten day window between when an early and late maturity oat will end it's vegetative cycle. That window gets way wider in the fall when heat units drop off. Keeping those oats tall, wide, and juicy is a big part of them being great tonnage with high attraction.

I don't worry too much about clean seed anymore. However, if you rely heavily on spraying to control weeds, I would ONLY buy cleaned and certified seed. You're not gonna like what comes along for the ride in a dirty bag of cereal.

I still buy all cleaned seed anyway because I like to play around with maturities and compare things.

I use TSC feed oats and they are $15/bag. If it were me I'd buy everything they had at $8 for forage oats. I just planted 4 acres as a cover crop for my clover. I also planted 3 acres next to my fall WW both should mature about the same time in june July I am going to broadcast my summer mix and terminate the we and oats as thatch.

they are probably left overs from last year. check to see if the price tag is yellow (at least that's what they do at ours up here)

I got 500 pounds. They have more also. Looks like it's last years stock. I guess it was hard to sell it at the original price of $32 when the local ag stores have it $22 for 64 pounds.

I got 500 pounds. They have more also. Looks like it's last years stock. I guess it was hard to sell it at the original price of $32 when the local ag stores have it $22 for 64 pounds.
I buy yearold seed for the discount all the time, and I never noticed any issue with germination. The way I look at it, when growing stuff for deer any discounts you can get allows extra $ to put out more acres.

Is that the tractor supply in Chardon? Heading out that way next week to scout for turkey season. Thanks for heads up.Quick stop in E.Claridon and them heading east to camp.May take back roads rather when 90 east to the border.

Is that the tractor supply in Chardon? Heading out that way next week to scout for turkey season. Thanks for heads up.Quick stop in E.Claridon and them heading east to camp.May take back roads rather when 90 east to the border.
Yes but they're out now. I bought everything they had.

Back