Plans for the Coming Season

lakngolf

I thought I would list out the items that would be beneficial to our hunt this coming season.

But I've done that before to no avail, so why bother?

lak - Hope all is well in your world! I'm gonna feel like we are hunting a new farm this fall. I'm having 60 acres of 32 yr old loblolly clear cut and 110 acres of 22 yr old loblolly thinned for the 2nd time to a basal of around 50. Logging crew scheduled to begin Monday. Gonna seem really strange looking over what is today a beautiful stand of mature loblolly pine that will look like tornado went thru when their finished. Plan to replant either this fall or next year.

WOW 3C, 60 acres leveled will be a new site. But I am glad you can recoup some from the land. Not that the enjoyment has not been recoup enough. We are doing well. Actually, Jack and Robert have some projects they want to do. I told them I had been promoted to Supervisor.
I would like to see a skillet of those biscuits again!

lak - Hope all is well in your world! I'm gonna feel like we are hunting a new farm this fall. I'm having 60 acres of 32 yr old loblolly clear cut and 110 acres of 22 yr old loblolly thinned for the 2nd time to a basal of around 50. Logging crew scheduled to begin Monday. Gonna seem really strange looking over what is today a beautiful stand of mature loblolly pine that will look like tornado went thru when their finished. Plan to replant either this fall or next year.
What's the tonnage price on pine right now?
Or, does the clearcut go for saw logs?

Just no ryme or reason to those prices. Ever since covid we are paying triple for southern yellow pine lumber but the Mississippi guys tell me that stumpage prices have not gone up at all?
Agree. Total disconnect between stumpage n retail for southern pine. Great Recession closed many mills. Gluttony of timber inventory down here when so much former pasture land was planted in pine in early 90s due to incentives. All of it now mature and lots of harvesting but limited number of mills to process.

Have to believe it’s cyclical with new mills coming on line. Gonna replant and hope for the best when kids n grandkids are ready to harvest.

Will more than pay for my original purchase price with this cutting even with stumpage prices flat lined.

here in northwoods.....yes retail side strong better than ever and margins are awesome...stumpage lucky to find anyone to cut it....simply lack of mills to take the pulp and more than plentiful inventory sitting in government land.

Take your nesseary gear with during the hunting season. I'm here also suggest to know what information on your hunting plan can help law enforcement officials find you? So it will help to complete a success hunting season.

Back