One Thousand Chestnut Trees - a Whitetail Deer Project

New Year's Tradition

1. Watch the Big Football Games
Tennessee Unleashes Our New Freshman RedShirt QB today. Big Orange Nation has Never Had More Anticipation Than This Game. Nico appears to be a Generatiional Player (At Least For My Volunteers). I am pulling for Bama and Longhorns. Guess i want a Rematch from the Sept Whipping Texas Gave Ole Nick.

2. As Soon as I get over Hollering at the TV College FB Games in a few days, I begin the process to start Seedlings for the upcoming year. 2023 was my Greatest Year - I will exceed 500 Chinese Chestnut Seedlings Given Away.

2024 will have a Legacy Project Honoring Our Friend Milton Lovelady. I am concentrating on DCO and Chinkapen Oak in 2024, too. I am going to help a newcomer on this forum with his farm in Central GA. getting chestnuts established.

3. Plan is to replace my Garage with a shop or add to my Garage. I may just add a Grow Room on the South Facing Side of My Garage.

4. We have been remodeling a home my Grandson is about to buy. Have to remodel it so the Appraiser gives the Loan a Thumbs Up. This week gonna wind up the remodeling phase.

If you are a seedling grower like me, now is the week to inspect the seeds and nuts you have been cold stratifying in the fridge.

Happy New Year to All Forum Users.

Go Big Orange Volunteers!!!
I am a UT Grad, Class of '75

I got my seedlings planted following Wayne’s guidance. Each one got a mixture of local dirt, potting soil, and pearlite. They all got a three minute baptism if they were bare root. Then each got a little cage to protect them from rodents and a bigger cage from my tree eating deer.
We still need to add irrigation tubes later and as the trees grow, I’ll raise the large cages to keep the deer off the branches.
Once the trees around them start leafing out I’m going to thin them to ensure all the chestnuts get good sun. Then field will be solely persimmons, pears and chestnuts.
If a deer doesn’t eat on my property, something’s wrong!
GOD Bless you Wayne!

Attachments

• IMG_6836.jpeg
    IMG_6836.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6845.jpeg
    IMG_6845.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6853.jpeg
    IMG_6853.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7033.jpeg
    IMG_7033.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7032.jpeg
    IMG_7032.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 12
I got my seedlings planted following Wayne’s guidance. Each one got a mixture of local dirt, potting soil, and pearlite. They all got a three minute baptism if they were bare root. Then each got a little cage to protect them from rodents and a bigger cage from my tree eating deer.
We still need to add irrigation tubes later and as the trees grow, I’ll raise the large cages to keep the deer off the branches.
Once the trees around them start leafing out I’m going to thin them to ensure all the chestnuts get good sun. Then field will be solely persimmons, pears and chestnuts.
If a deer doesn’t eat on my property, something’s wrong!
GOD Bless you Wayne!
And…AND since I split them with a fellow Green Beret, here’s a (old) picture of his.
They are 25’ apart and the tubes are all painted white now.
He also added 275 gallon tote of water up the hill with a hose that he’ll be able to water them with.

Attachments

• IMG_8383.jpeg
    IMG_8383.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 11
Looking Good Southside,

Your other buddy that was wishing he got some chestnut seedings to plant, is he still interested in some seedlings? I think I can spare some if he will plant and protect as you have.

Let me know. How was your trip?

Congrats on a great job planting, it is the part of the process that too many mess up. They plant with the intent of protecting in a day or two but in the mean time the family doe groups have browsed the seedlings to death.

Wayne

I ventured over to this forum and this piques my interest. Is this an ongoing program? I’ve not read all 53 pages yet….
Wayne (@wbpdeer) has been growing chestnut trees from nuts for many, many, years. He has been very gracious with sharing his expertise here on the forum and just as generous providing nuts he collects to others. I've venture that he is probably had a hand in many of the chestnuts growing across the country!

I ventured over to this forum and this piques my interest. Is this an ongoing program? I’ve not read all 53 pages yet….
I started in 2014 with my Chinese Chestnut activities. It has been a great ride. Not every year is the same: I retired, 5 years later I suffered a mild heart attack, buried both of my in-laws. settled my mom's estate, and other issues that occur in an older person's life.

I have shipped over 22,000 chestnuts thru the US Post Office in their "Flat Rate Box" program - if you can fit the item in one of their standard boxes, you can ship it for their set fixed rate no matter where it ships to. One year I had over 500 bucks in outgoing postage sent out waiting for recipients to receive their nuts, inspect them and send me a check. I did cease shipping until I got some checks to recover part of that money.

I was on my tractor bush hogging when I realized chestnuts would make a great project for my upcoming retirement. Chinese Chestnuts are tough and once they germinate they will grow large green leaves if you treat them halfway right. I love watching them put on scaffold of leaves, I hate waiting on them to germinate. If you plant 30 nuts in growing media, the date from the 1st to germinate, to the last to germinate may span over 3 weeks. I am still get impatient again this spring cause I hate waiting on them to germinate- nature is in charge regardless of what I want.

I will be 71 years old in about 6 more weeks. I have given away over 500 trees in the last 12 months. I no longer shipping chestnuts in a flat rate box, and I have very rarely shipped bare root trees. Do I feel guilty for slowing down this project? No, I am glad I have enjoyed a good life and have been able to give away what I have.

I do have a lady in Mississippi that I have promised to ship some chestnuts that I met thru running my shed dogs. During this long chinese chestnut project, I bought two labs, got them trained and titled out in two organizations - 5 titles each. I sold one dog when I had my heart attack and buried my black lab the last Friday in January, about 7 weeks ago now.

My last big chinese chestnut project is 100 chinese chestnuts seedlings to be grown in honor of Milton Lovelady who died in 2023, a long-time contributor on this forum. His family and friends will be planting them across Alabama and a few other states this fall. I went to his funeral in Bibb County, Alabama and was moved by all the love in that country Church that day. I will not use any electricity to grow these, so in April when I am confident freezing temps can be managed I will stick about 115 chinese chestnuts to grow the 100 seedlings.

I hope others will be able to share what they grow with others similar to what I and others have done. I first began hunting deer at the age of 12 and just knew I wanted to give back to the deer. That I have done.

Yep, it has been a long journey and I have enjoyed it very much. I still get mad over the QDMA shutting down our other forum. We are lucky to have this forum, but how they shut down so fast much was lost in that transition. This thread is long to read and you are getting part of the journey.

If anyone reads something and has a question, please it here so I or others can reply to help you and others who wish they had asked but didn't.

I can answer two questions now: I am not shipping chestnuts and I am not shipping seedlings. If you want seedlings and live close to Portland, TN or would be willing to travel to pick them up - then reach out to me. I may be in a position to work something out.

I want to thank Cutman and the others that stepped up in a matter of 2 or 3 days to get this forum created and going. I no longer use email since hackers created issues with me. Text me at 615.517.4873 or send me a PM on this forum.

Appreciate you Wayne

I've been growing all things Castenea every year since 2016 using techniques I learned from you,Jack,and mattpatt

It wouldn't be spring/summer without a backyard of baby trees being nursed and awaiting transplant to the field late fall

bill

I remember when I first discovered the old QDMA Forum. The knowledge and experience of the brain trust was impressive. I spent many hours reading and learning from those that had more experience than I. Their willingness to share practical knowledge that worked proved to be our downfall when the corporate interest realized what was occurring reduced their revenue stream.

I am thankful for those that helped me. We are fortunate to have this forum. I wish we had more traffic that we do but that is something that seems to go in cycles.

Anyone reading this thread, I hope you find info that helps you plant some seedlings, grow some and share your experience with others. Pass it on, someone did for me.

Thank You for your kind words.

Back