New To Plotting

Mossy_71

I have been a silent member of this forum for quite some time. There is a lot of valuable information here and a great many of you whom really know your stuff. I am reaching out to you guys for some advice.

I have a lease here in central Alabama with some established food plots/open areas that I want to get up to par this spring and going forward. Most of these areas are just under an acre in size, and I have a recent soil test for all but a couple of sites. I plan to lime and fertilize per the lab's recommendations, but I need help with the order of things I need to do to achieve the best results and not waste time and money. Are there specific weather conditions each step should be done (average temperatures, prior to expected rainfall, etc.).

The things I can think of that needs to be done is to clean up these open areas, spray, lime, till, plant, and fertilize. I am looking for some advice as to what order some of these things should be done and which may need to be completed multiple times throughout the process to achieve best results (such as spraying).

For the spring, I plan on planting some mixtures that benefit both deer and turkey. Also, they are both some perennials and annuals being planted.

I am sure I am probably leaving out some pertinent information. I can provide if known.

Thanks in advance for any information you can spare this newbie!

TB

Sounds like you are on the right track. Getting ph corrected if possible solves a multitude of problems.
For new plots late summer/fall plantings will give you less grief w residual weeds and grasses. Initially plant a rotation of clovers and cereals followed by brassica mix following fall. Few of these rotations prepare things for more perenial plots.
Remember it’s not what you see above the ground that so much determines your success but the micro and macro community living within the soil that will provide the impetus for growth and nutrition. Read and memorize Lickcreeks suggestions and watch Ray the soil guy on YouTube.
And don’t fail to appreciate the importance of fallow fields. They can be a goldmine of cover and natural occurring deer foods. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2 cents says to start simple, unless you have lots of time. The more recent thought process is that tilling isn't ideal and to plant diverse multi-species plots. It's better for soil, should require less inputs and time. Check out the throw and mow thread for lots of good ideas.

If you need to open up ground and flatten it out, tilling initially isn't the worst idea, especially if you're going to lime at the same time. After that, I'd get into a rotation of plant (drill or broadcast) and then terminate. (crimp and/or spray and/or knock over existing vegetation) Then repeat.

Back