New gear reviews

Turkish

Did you try out any new gear this year? Is there anything you used again the just knocked your socks off ... again? Want to tell of something under the radar that you love?

My faves from the 20-21 season:
- In-sole style foot warmers. I’ve used the toe-warmers in the past with lackluster results. These in-sole one were the bomb. I wore these with uninsulated hiking boots on the coldest MS morning of the season, with no problems. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001UQXAT6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_VT11N6KPEDR85TKBFR52

- Kuiu Guide pants. Extremely warm for the weight, even in a tree stand. This was my first year wearing them. They should last a long time.

- Silencerco Omega 300. Well just wishing here. I bet hunting with one would be a real game changer. I bet I could hear the bullet make impact and the other deer in the field would merely look around curiously. I bet.

- Disappointing was the 10 mAh phone charger, hand warmers from Amazon. I had 2 different brands and both discharged much much quicker than advertised.

Last edited:
On the topic of keeping feet warm I went a different route this year. I hiked to my destination with lightweight GTX hiking boots. At hunting height I slipped on Arctic Shield boot covers and put one hand warmer above my toes on each foot. Completely changed the game for me, no cold feet the entire season.

https://www.amazon.com/ArcticShield...ot+covers&qid=1612577968&sr=8-2&tag=hydsma-20

I bought a new saddle this year, the Tethrd Phantom. It performed excellent as well. Definitely an upgrade from the Mantis.

Most of my system was tried and true repeats from previous years. I’m just making a few tweaks here and there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Bought some tan colored Weatherproof brand fleece lined jeans for winter wear. Love 'em. Stretchy, warm, and nearly wind proof. They are about $50 on amazon but $19 at Costco (if they are in stock). Well worth $19, but not $50. Wore them under my scent gear and they worked great.
-I don't have the Silencerco Omega 300 but my Silencerco Hybrid is pretty awesome. It's still loud with supersonic ammo, but does make a difference. Usually the deer stand and look around until the target deer falls over and starts kicking, then spook.

milwaukee-cordless-pole-saws-2825-21ps-2727-21hd-64_1000-1.jpg Screenshot_20210206-080508_Chrome.jpg My favorite purchase of the year is a Milwaukee cordless chainsaw, and a Milwaukee cordless pole saw. This is a deadly pair in the woods. I put a thicker bar on the chainsaw because the bar that comes with it is too flexible and runs the chain off a lot.

I also went the artic shield route with hand warmers inside them worked great.

I tried the reflective insoles also, nice extra price of padding in the rubber boots, but not enough to keep things warm.

Starting to make a 2 piece system like a HBS for saddle hunting and stand hunting. Picked up one of these off eBay to incorporate into both the top and bottom. Figure a 2 outlet high capacity battery pack will run for a while and my early test on it shows 110*F heat, so......
957376970b199cc477698cf2acbb0d70.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

360 Hunting Blind - Not new, but new to me. You cannot convince me there is a better permanent blind out there not Muddy, not Redneck, nothing beats these.
https://www.360huntingblinds.com/360-series

I also switched my run n' gun to Saddle, specifically Tethrd......i think in 5 years i wont' have a hang on stand on my property. There are so many advantages of saddle over a hang on its not even close.

Similar to MMan - battery powered pole saw and chain saw...i went the dewalt route <$250 for both (if you have batteries already) and i'm floored at how well they work. No gas, quieter, plenty of battery life, lighter. i am not cutting firewood with it but misc trimming

On my non hunting list is our 4wheeler. A necessary addition for any property owner.

42c4b5c6064b9b8c6ecf4f1036a18da1.jpg

Really happy with the trailer I bought at Northen Tool as well.

269baf67e5c2b953db9421cf511b880f.jpg

360 Hunting Blind - Not new, but new to me. You cannot convince me there is a better permanent blind out there not Muddy, not Redneck, nothing beats these.
https://www.360huntingblinds.com/360-series

I also switched my run n' gun to Saddle, specifically Tethrd......i think in 5 years i wont' have a hang on stand on my property. There are so many advantages of saddle over a hang on its not even close.

Similar to MMan - battery powered pole saw and chain saw...i went the dewalt route <$250 for both (if you have batteries already) and i'm floored at how well they work. No gas, quieter, plenty of battery life, lighter. i am not cutting firewood with it but misc trimming
X2 on the 360 hunting blind being the best one out there.
On my non hunting list is our 4wheeler. A necessary addition for any property owner.

42c4b5c6064b9b8c6ecf4f1036a18da1.jpg

Really happy with the trailer I bought at Northen Tool as well.

269baf67e5c2b953db9421cf511b880f.jpg

You won't go wrong with a yamaha

View attachment 21141 View attachment 21142 My favorite purchase of the year is a Milwaukee cordless chainsaw, and a Milwaukee cordless pole saw. This is a deadly pair in the woods. I put a thicker bar on the chainsaw because the bar that comes with it is too flexible and runs the chain off a lot.

Mennoniteman,

If I end up “having” to purchase these items, I’m holding you personally responsible.

I’m on board with the electric saws, although I went with GreenWorks. It is absolutely amazing what they will do.

I’m on board with the electric saws, although I went with GreenWorks. It is absolutely amazing what they will do.
Yeah, electric saws are soo convenient. Doesn't really matter what color, just match your favorite battery system . My trimmer happens to be a Ryobi. A group of us went out to clear a bunch of public land tree stands and by the end of the day everybody wanted to use it over the gas Stihl due to the weight.
s-l640.jpg

I don't have an omega but yes they all stand around and wonder what happened. I could've shot most if not all of the group of 7 does. Still loud but saves the ears a little.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Product I bought this year that I extremely happy with is my new turkey hunting vest from Ol'tom (Drake) I have bought several vest over the years and this is by far the best and favorite of all time. It had some minor issues that I needed to remedy but top notch!!!!!

The gloves I bought from Sitka???????? different story. The only saving grace is that I didn't actually buy them. Gift card and ada boys from work, I saved them up to buy a $100 pair of gloves. I can't believe how worthless they were. My hands get cold and the system I have used over the last few years has gotten better so I thought these gloves would put me over the top to staying warmer. I was WRONG!!!! The gloves are very comfortable to wear. Easy to shoot, climb, to the stand and maybe going to church in but waterproof NO, keep hand warm NOPE!!!!!!

Air activated toe warmers. Love em. Anything lithium battery operated. Son gave me a Stihl lithium leaf blower for Christmas. Love it! Gave all the kids a Milwaukee lithium battery back pack vacuum and gave myself one as well. Game changer. No cords to fool with. eBike for getting to and from stand. Be careful in really muddy conditions.

Back