New and old

Drycreek

I have two new plots to plant this year on our lease in addition to the ones we’ve had planted. So, with that in mind I sprayed about two weeks ago with TSC 41% gly. These are small plots that will feed deer but not be hunted over. They will only be spring/summer plots. Buckwheat will be the crop of choice for the first year, soil test was an educated guess by square footage, and will be finalized after a real soil test some time next winter. We added lime yesterday and I disced it in. I hate these small, narrow plots because you no sooner turn around and get straight before you have to do it again. It is what it is though, it’s a lease and we can clear nothing, so we plant where we can.

A couple plots, which I disced today, are hunting plots and were in wheat and MRC. The clover didn’t make it, even though I had high hopes, so I turned it all under for green manure. Dodging trees and making circles like a buzzard, but I got it done. One more plot to do next week after this old man gets the weekend off. :)0DED6C1F-B04E-468F-B78C-5DAB9162F30C.jpegE036AF10-1B88-4A3B-9337-34085893F438.jpeg345F65BF-968E-4F1D-9050-5A3898B11D2D.jpeg8B220F95-8604-4534-BFFC-3060E8440C86.jpegBD874BFA-A70A-4CD0-A680-BA7EE9C416EF.jpeg

I have two new plots to plant this year on our lease in addition to the ones we’ve had planted. So, with that in mind I sprayed about two weeks ago with TSC 41% gly. These are small plots that will feed deer but not be hunted over. They will only be spring/summer plots. Buckwheat will be the crop of choice for the first year, soil test was an educated guess by square footage, and will be finalized after a real soil test some time next winter. We added lime yesterday and I disced it in. I hate these small, narrow plots because you no sooner turn around and get straight before you have to do it again. It is what it is though, it’s a lease and we can clear nothing, so we plant where we can.

A couple plots, which I disced today, are hunting plots and were in wheat and MRC. The clover didn’t make it, even though I had high hopes, so I turned it all under for green manure. Dodging trees and making circles like a buzzard, but I got it done. One more plot to do next week after this old man gets the weekend off. :)View attachment 18545View attachment 18546View attachment 18547View attachment 18548View attachment 18549
That place needs a bulldozer ;)

That place needs a bulldozer ;)

I had mine over there three years ago right after I joined the lease. Worked the roads and did a little judicious cleaning up with the landowners’ permission. I had those roads and creek crossings in good shape until the loggers came two winters in a row. Of course they pulled the logs down the middle of the road and cut furrows in them and all the runoff ran right down the middle washing ditches. I plan to rent a small dozer, something I can move with my F350 and gooseneck as soon as the weather gets right. I want enough moisture for the dirt to work well, but no heavy rains right after the work is done. A couple places need to have good berms built to direct the runoff to the side and into the woods so the roads will stop washing. We have a skidder trail to clean out to make a road into a new stand site, so all in, about two days worth of work. I take my backhoe over there about once a year and do odd stuff that needs doing, but some things are a lot harder to do with a backhoe.

Our next project, (next week), is limb trimming. We’ll take my CanAm and an electric pole saw and drive all the roads trimming the limbs back so I can mow without the limbs hitting my tractor. Got some limbs overhanging food plots that need to come down and a little trimming where a tripod will be going. All stuff we want to get done before it gets hot !

Buckwheat is a weed of not controlled. I'd opt for oats now, broadcast oats again in july and roll it flat. Sept id broadcast 50# rye and roll Oct.50# more rye. Repeat next year. Then in years to come you can do anything you want.

Buckwheat is a weed of not controlled. I'd opt for oats now, broadcast oats again in july and roll it flat. Sept id broadcast 50# rye and roll Oct.50# more rye. Repeat next year. Then in years to come you can do anything you want.

The buckwheat I’ve planted was never out of control. Things may be different in CO., but here 100* heat in August kills just about everything. If it’s not dead by then, I just mow it down and plant my fall plot, which is usually wheat.

You should do watch grant woods buffalo system food plot videos. He has several where he takes temperatures of the soil. This might come in handy to you and your area. Good luck!

You should do watch grant woods buffalo system food plot videos. He has several where he takes temperatures of the soil. This might come in handy to you and your area. Good luck!

I do watch Dr. Woods, every week, but the buffalo system doesn’t work unless you have a $10,000 drill, which I don’t. I can’t do throw and mow either. If you don’t have hogs you don’t realize what a scourge they are. Some things I can’t even plant because they will root them up and eat all the seed. I’m pretty well set in my process and it works for me, but I do tweak things a little every now and then. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t, but that’s what learning is.

Back